Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin released a video Sunday apologizing for his comments to reporters Friday suggesting that Kentucky children were sexually assaulted or poisoned because of teacher protests.
"One of the other things that's clear about unintended consequences is sometimes the words that people say, the way in which they say it, or just the misunderstanding that comes from that also can have unintended consequences", Bevin said.
Republican Governor Matt Bevin issued the four-minute apology video on Sunday, saying that many people misunderstood and "did not fully appreciate" his earlier statement.
"It is my responsibility to represent you, not only when I'm speaking to you but also when I'm speaking on your behalf".
Trump Lawyer Cohen Reportedly Seeking Restraining Order Over FBI Raids
When the news site BuzzFeed published the entire dossier January 11, 2017, Trump said the document was "false and fake". President Donald Trump's personal attorney Michael Cohen leaves a resort in NY , U.S., April 1 3, 2018.
I've shared with many of you before, my grandmother, my grandfather, two of my five siblings, have all been public school teachers, some for their entire careers, some for a period of time. "It is not my intent to hurt anybody in this process". "Let's work together, we need to work together", he said. "We're in this together".
Bevin, who would see his veto of an education-boosting state budget overridden by state lawmakers, characterized the attitudes of protesting teachers as cavalier and flippant about student safety.
In an interview with an WDRB-TV tv reporter Friday, the governor said he could guarantee that somewhere in Kentucky a young child was sexually attacked after being abandoned with no supervision on account of the walk out.
"This is the example that we want to send to our children, really?"
Teachers from across Kentucky gathered in the state Capitol to rally for increased funding for education on Friday. "His insults of teachers over the a year ago have been beneath the decorum of any respectable elected official".
- Tornado watch issued for Monroe, Randolph counties
- Russian Federation slams joint airstrikes in Syria
- Russian Federation warns of war over Syria strikes
- Devonte Hart's Adopted Mother Was Drunk When She Drove SUV Off Cliff
- Tax Day is April 17
- Sydney bushfire still out of control and may have been deliberately lit
- Flash flood watch issued for much of West Virginia
- Thousands Rally in Barcelona Demanding Release of Detained Politicians
- Putin Warns of Global 'Chaos' if Syria Is Hit Again
- Montenegro votes for next president; favorite is pro-West