Authorities confirmed that the fighting has left at least seven dead, with a further 17 requiring medical treatment.
The prison wasn't secured until nearly 3 a.m., the South Carolina Department of Corrections tweeted. The Lee County Fire department also said they assisted with a "mass casualty incident" at the prison. Some local media outlets reported the local coroner had been called to the scene. One inmate killed another in February.
Lee Correctional Institution was secured at around 2:55 a.m. after incident involving inmates in three housing units, the South Carolina Department of Corrections wrote on Twitter.
Inmates Dead in SC After Massive Prison Brawl
The South Carolina Department of Corrections says seven inmates have died following an incident at Lee Correctional Institution. Earlier, state police were called to attend an "ongoing situation" at the the prison.
Lee Correctional Institution, which opened in 1993, houses about 1,500 male inmates.
In March, inmates at the prison held an officer hostage after taking control of a dorm room, The State reported.
According to the agency, all staff and responding law enforcement officers were "safe and accounted for".
This story is developing and will be updated.
- Sensex, Nifty trade lower, Infosys shares fall 3%
- EPS for CVS Health Corporation (CVS) Expected At $1.40 on May, 1
- $700K in feces-laced cosmetics seized in bust
- Rafferty Asset Management LLC Lifted Intel Corp (INTC) Position
- EPS for Suncor Energy Inc
- Derek Jeter decides against making 'awkward' trip to Yankee Stadium with Marlins
- Armenians protest against ex-leader's move to stay in power
- Camber Capital Management LLC Has Upped Hca Healthcare INC (HCA) Position
- Special status row: Statewide bandh in Andhra Pradesh today
- PD: Teenager found dead on Seven Hills campus