Bayern Munich have confirmed Niko Kovac will replace Jupp Heynckes as the club's coach next season. "We are convinced that he is the right coach for the future of FC Bayern". Real Madrid and Bayern Munich will meet in the Champions League semi-final and Colombia worldwide James Rodríguez is on loan at Bayern from the LaLiga side.
The 72-year-old is in his fourth spell at the club, and could yet win the Champions League again.
Kicker magazine reported that Bayern would pay a fee of 2.2 million euros ($2.7 million) to trigger a release clause in Kovac's existing contract with Frankfurt.
Frankfurt sports director Fredi Bobic said the club had been surprised by the quick decision.
The Bayern president said the club announced Kovac's signing as soon as the coach agreed to join on a three-year contract.
'He told us that he had already decided. Kovac will also bring his 44-year-old brother Robert Kovac from Frankfurt as assistant coach.
Self-belief helped Madrid through quarter-final panic attack
The goal gave Real a 4-3 aggregate win after Juventus had recovered from a 3-0 first-leg defeat to level the tie at the Bernabeu. Madrid left back Marcelo , however, said his side were made of sterner stuff.
Bayern did not reveal the cost of poaching Kovac, but both Bild and Sport Bild claimed that his departure before the end of his Frankfurt contract in 2019 would cost Bayern 2.2 million euros (S$3.6 million).
But Hoeness said: "We are a little bit confused".
It his highly expected Unai Emery will stand down or be sacked at the end of the season following another disappointing Champions League campaign, and Tuchel had been heavily tipped for the job. "Obviously the timing of this announcement is inconvenient". "Everyone respects the other", Frankfurt forward Kevin-Prince Boateng said earlier this season.
Reinvigorated in a deeper, more central role than he was asked to perform under Zinedine Zidane at the Bernabeu, James is unfazed by the prospect of another potential positional shift under Kovac next season.
Kovac will need to adjust to instructing established stars at Bayern, rather than young players of promise still eager to learn, and he will be expected to maintain the club's high standards.
- Merkel endorsed the impact of the United States and its allies on Syria
- There should be a national uprising: Hema Malini on Kathua rape
- Beyoncé makes history, gets the band back together at Coachella
- Israeli security heads confer after Trump's threat to bomb Syria
- Apple Offering Free Apple Watch Series 2 Repairs Due To Swollen Batteries
- Sir Martin Sorrell steps down from WPP following claims of personal misconduct
- Potential Manchester United lineup against West Bromwich Albion
- Putin condemns US-led strikes on Syria as an "act of aggression"
- CNY added to winter weather advisory for sleet, freezing rain
- May mulls Syria action despite cautious mood in United Kingdom