- A political crisis in Slovakia set off by the slayings of an investigative journalist and his fiancee deepened Monday when a junior party in the governing coalition called for resolving the situation by holding early elections.
Most-Hid party Chairman Bela Bugar said Monday that if the two coalition partners don't agree to negotiate the early vote, Most-Hid would be ready to walk.
The junior nationalist coalition party SNS said on Monday that it could accept either early elections or a cabinet reshuffle.
Bugar's announcement means the government created after the 2016 general election could fall apart soon. They were the biggest protests in Slovakia since the 1989 anti-communist Velvet Revolution.
Should Most-Hid, a centrist group that represents the ethnic Hungarian minority in Slovakia, pull out of the ruling coalition, Fico will be forced to rule as part of a minority government that would need to rely on the backing of far-right lawmakers - something Fico's Smer party opposes.
Kalinak was one of the founding members of Fico's Smer-SD party, and held the post of interior minister during ten of the last twelve years.
Threat to collapse Fico coalition after journalist killing
In statements, Kalinak made clear that he wanted to "preserve the stability in Slovakia".
The organizers of the protests said the interior minister stepping down "must be only a beginning".
Robert Kalinak's resignation comes amid social and political turmoil sparked by last month's murder of investigative journalist Jan Kuciak who had been probing links between the government and the Italian mafia.
The slain journalist, Jan Kuciak, was writing about ties between the Italian mafia and people close to Fico when he and fiancee Martina Kusnirova were shot to death.
"It's important for stability to be maintained, therefore I chose to resign the post of deputy prime minister and interior minister", Kalinak said.
The Most-Hid pressure came despite the resignation earlier on Monday by interior minister Robert Kalinak.
Bucks guard Brandon Jennings' near triple-double performance vs. Grizzlies
Giannis Antetokounmpo added 20 points, six rebounds and four assists despite playing just 27 minutes because of foul trouble. Wilson has played and started in 10 games with the Herd this season, averaging 15.6 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists .
- Drunk bride crashed vehicle en route to nuptials, cops say — WEDDING CRASHER
- Seminoles return to NCAA tournament, will open against Missouri
- TCS tumbles on buzz Tata Sons to trim stake
- Hillary Clinton takes her 'deplorables' argument for another spin
- Nintendo Switch System Update 5.0.0 Mentioned In Parental Controls App Update
- Pressure grows for inquiry into Telford child sex abuse claims
- Regeneron and Sanofi's Praluent successful in large-scale cardiovascular outcomes study
- Coutinho would welcome Neymar back to Barcelona: Arthur...?
- Trump, Kim have reasons to be civil
- How to Find Bike Sharing Stations with Apple Maps