The increase represents the first time since 2016 that the unemployment rate has risen and it is the sharpest increase in almost five years.
Mediocre nominal wage increases which may discourage Bank of England rate setters from raising interest rates again in May.
Employment growth was weaker than expected in the three months to December, rising by 88,000 people rather than the 173,000 Reuters poll consensus.
Average earnings beat forecasts, the ONS said, with earnings (both including and excluding bonuses) increasing by 2.5% over the data period, compared to an expectation of 2.4% growth.
There were 1.47 million unemployed Brits in the final quarter of 2017, an increase of 46,000 from July to September a year ago.
3M will pay $850 million in Minnesota to end water pollution case
But in 2004, trace amounts of the chemicals were found in groundwater near one of 3M's dumping sites east of St. The company says there's no evidence the chemicals have impacted human health.
The jobless rate ticked up to 4.4 per cent, up from a 42-year low of 4.3 per cent previously, according to the Office for National Statistics.
The UK's Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation rate - the key measure of inflation - remains elevated since the referendum, reading 3% in January.
The pay rise represented an acceleration from the 2.3 per cent annual rate recorded in the previous month, and higher than the 2.4 per cent expected by economists. In particular, fewer citizens of the eastern European countries that joined the EU in 2004 and of non-EU countries were in work than in the year before.
Output per hour - the main measure of productivity - rose 0.8 per cent quarter-on-quarter during the three months to December, slightly slower than the 0.9 per cent rise in the third quarter.
- Mount Sinabung volcano eruption: WATCH terrifying moment children flee HUGE ash cloud
- Digit mobile numbers to be launched in India from July 1, 2018
- US, South Korea rescheduling joint military exercises
- RBI sets up panel to look into banking frauds
- Norwegian ties record for most Winter Olympic medals with cross-country win
- For older men, total volume of exercise matters more than consistency
- Sixers center Joel Embiid has 'special' time in NBA All-Star weekend
- Florida students heading to state capital hoping for stricter gu
- Charlottesville Anti-Gun Violence Group Activates After Parkland
- Takes $274000 Position in Ford Motor (F)