And when asked to assess his own job security, Conte claimed not to be perturbed by the prospect of getting the sack, despite frequent run-ins with the Chelsea board over recent months.
So this decision to give them a break is seen as a move to soften relations between the coach and his players.
Eden Hazard leveled the scores, rattling the Hornets to pump three goals past helpless, dejected and terrible Chelsea side, handing Blues a rare grotesque defeat.
It was the first time defending champions Chelsea had conceded four goals to a side outside the Premier League top-six since Charlton managed that feat in 2003. Then when you go 1-0 down in this type of situation with 10 men, it's very hard to come back.
"In the second half we showed good determination but confusion".
"My choice was very poor I think".
"We played without personality from the start".
George Stephanopoulos expertly grills Carter Page over his well-documented Kremlin ties
He was asked about briefings he gave while with the Trump campaign and whether he ever talked to the then-candidate. When asked what he thinks those documents would show, Page said, "I have no idea".
The Italian went on to say he would not lose any sleep over the ongoing, and intense, speculation regarding his future at the club.
"As a player, all I want is to come back to the training pitch as soon as possible, to work hard and to get into Monday's game against West Brom, to get the three points and to get our confidence back".
"But, I repeat, in my life when I was a player, I was captain of Juventus and never, ever, did I speak about a coach with my club".
"This is not my problem, I repeat", he told Sky Sports. I try to do everything.
"For sure I have to take the responsibility because maybe I made the wrong decision for the starting XI".
But his team found it hard to muster the necessary response early on as the hosts continued their strong display with the man advantage.
Gracia enjoyed a superb introduction to the Watford fans, having replaced Marco Silva as head coach a fortnight ago. My soul is clear.
"A great match, a great victory".
- IOC opens 2 days of meeting on eve of Pyeongchang Olympics
- Four Rebels Hope to Shine at 2018 NFL Combine in Indy
- Brady becomes oldest MVP in National Football League history
- No injuries after high-speed Amtrak train cars uncouple in Maryland
- Super Bowl LII Pulls Lowest Viewers Since 2009, 103.4 Million
- Trade probe of U.S. sorghum 'normal' investigation: China
- President Trump Has Convinced His Voters He's Being Persecuted By The FBI
- Sanctions Test Limits of North Korea Olympic Participation
- Jury told by Waymo lawyer Uber 'cheating' on autonomous auto secrets
- Trump defiant as deadlines loom on budget, immigration