There's no denying Ed Sheeran is hugely talented and has earned the privilege of winning awards like these, but we're not convinced Best Pop Solo was meant for him this time around.
Gaga also used the opportunity to bring attention to the Time's Up movement, which aims to raise awareness of sexual harassment in Hollywood, before segwaying into a performance of hit single Million Reasons.
While introducing Kesha, who sang her song "Praying," Monae entreated the crowd to stand together and fight for equal rights for women.
The singer had accused producer Dr. Luke (Lukasz Gottwald), whom she had worked with, of sexual and emotional abuse and gone through a long legal battle.
In the Best Pop Solo performance category, Sheeran was the only man nominated - in any other context this would be something to celebrate, but the Grammys are trash and we can't have nice things.
But the biggest nod to the movement was the highly anticipated performance from Kesha (watch in the video player above).
SAP buys CallidusCloud for United States dollars 2.4 bln
SAP also announced plans to take over United States sales and marketing software firm, Callidus Software, for about $2.4 billion. In its fourth quarter, SAP's profit after tax rose 22% to 1.87 billion euros from 1.53 billion euros past year .
Leonard Cohen won best rock performance posthumously for You Want It Darker and Toronto's The Weeknd won best urban contemporary album for Starboy.
"I am honoured to win an award, finally, and I wanted to thank everyone at Netflix, at 'Saturday Night Live, ' at 'The Chappelle Show, '" he said.
LOW - In keeping with the lack of balance for rock and electronic (two genres that are quite relevant) artists, instead of running a montage of sorts of winners in the respective categories backed by one of the winners performing, host James Corden modified his Carpool Karaoke for a New York City version of Subway Karaoke.
Puppies were passed to the losers of best comedy album, including Jerry Seinfeld, Sarah Silverman and Jim Gaffigan.
Mars won two of three biggest awards Sunday - record of the year for "24K Magic" and song of the year for "That's What I Like" - on Sunday at Madison Square Garden.
However, Sheeran failed to show up to win the award, which allegedly resulted in boos from the audience when his name was read out.
Posthumous Grammys were awarded to actress Carrie Fisher, singer Leonard Cohen and engineer Tom Coyne, who worked on Mars' "24K Magic" album.
- A Look Into Insider Activity With Pepsico, Inc. (PEP)
- Left scolds Hillary for shamelessly coddling sexual harasser
- VW suspends company lobbyist over 'repulsive' diesel fume tests
- Experts call on Facebook to pull Messenger Kids app
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) Shares Sold by Global Thematic Partners LLC
- Should Investors Take a Bite out of Johnson Controls International plc (JCI)?
- Rory McIlroy wishes he could 'get a couple of those holes back'
- Watchdog: Pentagon blocks information on insurgent dominance in Afghanistan
- Shopian civilian killings: FIR against Army major disgusting, says BJP
- Elon Musk's Boring Company Is Selling Flamethrowers Now