In eastern Ghazni province, meanwhile, four Afghan police were killed after their checkpoint came under attack by insurgents, said Arif Noori, spokesman for the provincial governor.
After a tense standoff, with one surviving militant holding out, Afghan security forces eventually freed more than 40 charity staff and at least 12 children from a safe room. AP "We have suspended for a while our operations in Afghanistan, but we rest deeply committed to helping the children in Afghanistan".
The attack began with a suicide auto bomb outside the office, followed by gunmen entering the compound and fighting Afghan special forces, a spokesman for the government in the eastern province said.
Monica Zanarelli, head of the delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross in Afghanistan, denounced that an attack against an NGO that helps children is "intolerable".
Save the Children condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. Save the Children said in a statement that its aid reaches nearly 1.4 million children throughout Afghanistan. "The increase in violence has made it hard for many organizations to operate in Afghanistan".
Warriors' Curry to sit out 3-point contest
Draymond Green had 12 points, six assists and five rebounds as the Warriors finished with 40 assists. Thompson struggled to nine points on 4-for-10 shooting, missing all three of his 3-point tries.
"It is an organization that has worked tirelessly in Afghanistan for more than four decades, delivering outstanding work during some of the country's most turbulent periods", Patnaik said. The casualty count could rise as a gun battle was still underway, he said.
The attack followed a deadly weekend siege of the Intercontinental Hotel in the capital Kabul in which 22 people were killed, including 14 foreigners. Several Americans were killed or injured in the Taliban attack on the building, which lasted 13 hours, the US State Department said Tuesday.
Eleven of the 14 foreigners had previously been identified as workers of the private Afghan airline KamAir.
Qatar also expressed its condolences to the families of the victims, the government and the people of Afghanistan, the statement said.
- Analyst's Ratings : Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC)
- Thousands protest 'Invasion Day' on Australia's national day
- Trump reportedly ordered Mueller fired last year, but then backed off
- Tom Hanks debuts on Instagram; reveals 'Mission: Impossible 6' title
- Floyd Mayweather's father arrested for battery
- President Exaggerates Missing Texts Involving FBI Agent Accused of anti-Trump bias
- MI survivor describes facing Nassar in court
- Unusual Activity Sighted in Microsemi Corporation (NASDAQ:MSCC) Shares
- Hall of Fame voters give Kerry Wood a reason to party
- Shutdown, mobile services suspension marks Jan 26 in Kashmir