It happened Tuesday morning at Marshall County High School in Benton, near the Land Between the Lakes. Shook says police came to talk to the class.
The injured girl, whose name was not released, was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. She said she was angry when she learned who the suspect was because she'd complained about the boy at least twice to school officials, including to a vice principal.
Edge says a possible motive is unclear.
Investigators have said they don't know the relationship between the victim and shooter, or what may have been the shooter's motive.
US House passes measure to fund government and end shutdown
While the Senate easily approved the bill earlier in the day, most House Democrats voted against the continuing resolution. The upper chamber was expected to pass the measure Monday afternoon, then send it to the House for quick approval.
The Ellis County Sheriff's Department will lead the investigation of the shooting.
He said he had no information on her condition. The school was placed on lockdown and emergency responders are already on scene.
This item has been corrected to show the sheriff's official is named Sgt. Joe Fitzgerald, not Sgt. Joe Fitz Fitzgerald.
A shooting suspect was reported in custody. He confirmed the shooter is in custody. Additional details were not immediately available.
- Government Shutdown Ends With One Clear Loser: Democrats
- President, PM pay tributes to Subhas Chandra Bose
- Ryan Reynolds to remake 'Clue' at Fox
- Thousands of clubbers and hotel guests evacuated in London
- One of the best comedies ever is getting its own TV series
- Arsene Wenger explains why Arsenal's spending is capped
- 'Crisco Cops' grease posts in Philly before Eagles-Vikings
- NFL Notes: Vrabel to Titans all about Mariota
- Donald Trump Says Republicans Should Go 'Nuclear' On Federal Budget
- Klopp says Liverpool dragged into a fight