The Senator informed the crowd her goal is to find out what Minnesotans want her to bring to Washington. Taking over for the embattled Al Franken (D-MN) faced with allegations of sexual harassment, Smith's swearing in starts a new chapter for the state.
Smith's resignation as lieutenant governor took effect at midnight Tuesday. "Tina Smith is a person of the highest integrity and ability", he said in that same post.
"[But] if Michele Bachmann could be a part of turning Minnesota into a more "Red" state, I think she would welcome the challenge", Markell concludes. "I believe there's a real opportunity to make headway here".
If God is involved, Michele Bachmann could be elected US senator from Minnesota - so says the head of a Messianic Jewish ministry based in that state.
Somerville Kurt F Has $290000 Stake in Wells Fargo & Co (NYSE:WFC)
The financial services provider reported $0.97 EPS for the quarter, missing analysts' consensus estimates of $1.04 by ($0.07). Shares, however, were down almost 1 percent in electronic trading shortly after the earnings release, off the morning lows.
Franken, who had apologised for any offence he may have given and had offered to undergo an ethics investigation by the Senate, has been one of the most popular Democratic senators and his name had begun to be heard in discussions about a possible presidential run in 2020. With a background in marketing, Smith began working on political campaigns in the early 1990s. With a GOP majority across Washington she says she realizes it will be hard to accomplish certain things.
"Some of the basic things you have to do, like figuring out where I'm going to live when I'm in Washington, D.C., and learning about the Senate and how the Senate works", she said.
"It's great to have good advice, but of course I have to figure out how to do this job in my own way using my own best judgement", she said.
Friday night Senator Tina Smith made her first big public appearance, meeting Northlanders in Duluth. "She's hosting the event so just to see two females here representing Minnesota will be great".
Smith also will meet with local officials in Mountain Iron to discuss the expansion of rural broadband service.
- Rafa Benitez says Newcastle talking with agents over transfers
- Redesigned Chevy Silverado pickup loses weight, gains size
- Xbox One Sold More Than PS4 in December, Switch Surpasses Overall Sales
- Hillary Clinton calls Trump racist over his 'sh**hole countries' remarks
- India begins campaign with big win
- Flu-related deaths spike to 17 this season in Manitoba
- Zuma to Host Kenyatta for State Visit, Kenyan Presidency Says
- Manchester City winger reveals he snubbed Klopp twice
- Plane skids off runway and dangles over a cliff
- Offensive Impact: Nick Foles gets the job done vs. Falcons