Google today paid tribute to social activist and Bengali author Mahasweta Devi on the occasion of her 92nd birth anniversary with a Google Doodle. Well-known for her novels and short stories that limn the plights and struggles of India's tribal people and women, Devi died at the age of 90 in Kolkata's Belle Vue Clinic hospital because of the multiple organ failure.
Born in 1926, Decca, British India (Now Dhaka, Bangladesh), she graduated with an Honours degree in English from Patha-Bhavana Vishvabharati University in Santiniketan and completed her Master's in English from Calcutta University. Her parents Manish Ghatak and mother Dharitri Devi were also known for their literary works.
Devi was the pioneer in calling for the rights and empowerment of the Lodha and Shabar, the tribal people from West Bengal, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh. She then went on to work as a teacher and a journalist.
A long time champion for the political, social and economic rights of the tribal communities, Mahasweta Devi has said that the reason why she writes has evolved over the years. She had also taken active part in Nandigram agitation and headed the movement against the earlier CPI (Marxist) government's industrial policy. Her most popular works include Hajar Churashir Maa, Rudali and Aranyer Adhikar, the former two of which have been adapted into motion pictures.Читайте также: Cold, chance of snow forecast in week ahead
"My India still lives behind a curtain of darkness", she had said during her Ramon Magsaysay Award acceptance speech.
She also published a journal, Bortika, giving voices to those who were unheard.
The noted author breathed her last in July 2016.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- How Analysts Rated Valero Energy Partners LP (NYSE:VLP) Last Week?
- China may stop buying US Treasury bonds
- Gaine leaving Bills to become Texans' GM
- Wind Chill Advisory Issued
- Do Institutional Investors Love Crown Castle International Corp (NYSE:CCI)?
- Jeremy Corbyn faces down critics over European Union single market stance
- Trump denies "shithole countries" comments
- Were Analysts Bearish Chevron Corporation (NYSE:CVX) This Week?
- SC Judges' rebellion: Yashwant Sinha attacks government, says 'democracy under threat'
- Trump hints United States could return to Paris climate accord