Sharapova is ranked 47th in the world and comes to Melbourne Park without the protection of a seeding for the first time since debuting in 2003, a year before she stunned Serena Williams in the Wimbledon final. We needed a former champion to come. But Tiley cited Sharapova's status as a former champion for the invite, with the Russian having lifted the trophy ten years ago.
With Kerber still competing at a tournament in Sydney, Tiley was happy to call on Sharapova.
She [Maria] accepted the invite.' He also added, 'In fairness to Maria, the adjudication has occurred on that [her doping violation]. "She deserved the opportunity".
World's No. 1 and top-seed Simona Halep will open her battle for the 2018 Australian Open trophy with a match against 17-year-old Destanee Aiava of Australia, who is now ranked 193rd in the WTA rankings.
Sharapova has already made an impact here, if not quite the one she and the tournament organisers would have wanted, when she took Williams's prestigious place on the podium for Thursday night's televised draw.
Chelsea Manning files to run as Democrat for US Senate in Maryland
The election document lists Manning's address as that of a luxury apartment tower in North Bethesda. Manning would challenge Democrat Ben Cardin , who will face re-election in November.
"That is the ultimate goal, but I realise the depth of the game", the 30-year-old said. "It's for anyone to grab".
"I certainly hope I can put myself in that position. because I've been there and have delivered on those moments".
Top seed Simona Halep will face a local wildcard in the first round, while men's world number one Rafael Nadal will start his bid for a second title in Melbourne against Dominican Victor Estrella Burgos.
"It was a huge surprise".
Six-time champion Novak Djokovic is only seeded 14th after his lengthy absence with elbow problems and was handed a tricky draw.
- Jurgen Klopp delighted that Liverpool can 'win ugly'
- Warner Bros. Sets Release Date for DC's 'Shazam!'
- CES 2018: Alexa AR Glasses Features Stock Prices, Weather Updates
- Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (ADM) Issues Earnings Results
- Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ:ATVI) Upgraded at Zacks Investment Research
- Credit Acceptance Corp. (CACC) Major Shareholder Sells $5903642.36 in Stock
- New Year, Same Fight Over Judicial Elections
- Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino: 'Georges-Kevin N'Koudou needs games'
- Steve Bannon to step down at Breitbart
- Analysts See $0.05 EPS for First Bancorp (FBP)