Machado could be looking for a deal closer to the record $23 million that his agency, MVP Sports Group, negotiated for Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson on Friday morning for his final season before free agency.
Other arbitration-eligible Orioles players include second baseman Jonathan Schoop and right-hander Kevin Gausman. Machado had been named an All-Star in three of the four years prior but was passed over in 2017.
Gausman is asking for $6,225,000 and the team is offering $5.3 million.
New York City statue being removed, but it's not Christopher Columbus
The mayor created a monuments commission previous year to examine so-called "hate symbols" around the city. De Blasio said the commission tried to address the "two parallel realities" concerning Columbus.
A year ago, Brach took the Orioles to arbitration and won his case, making $3.05 million while Joseph lost his case and made $700,000.
Both Machado and Britton have been the subject of trade rumors this offseason, with talks surrounding the latter quieting down following his injury. The $16 million salary is actually less than what Mlbtraderumors.com predicted ($17.3 million) and it doesn't seem out of line for a 25-year-old with his pedigree. Right-handed reliever Brad Brach also went to an arbitration hearing last year, handing the Orioles their only arbitration hearing defeat in 22 years. So that salary should not be a hindrance if the Orioles do trade Machado this year. But, having Machado and Paul Goldschmidt locked up at the corner for years to come would keep them in contention, for sure.
BC-BBA-Arbitration-Orioles, 1st Ld-Writethru, 187 Orioles avoid arbitration with Machado, Britton, 3 othersAP Photo NY905Eds: Updates with additional deals.
- Without Coutinho, Klopp's Liverpool looks to bring down City
- PDP MLA hails militants from Kashmir as martyrs
- Tale of the Ticker: Vmware Inc (VMW) Move -0.86% on Volume
- Deontay Wilder to defend title against Luis Ortiz in March
- Mark Wahlberg reportedly demanded $1.5m before approving Christopher Plummer's casting
- KFC is accepting Bitcoin for fried chicken in this country
- Dark Souls remaster coming to PC, XO, PS4, and Switch
- What Do Analysts Suggest For Northern Oil and Gas, Inc. (NOG)
- European Union wants to spend €1bn on supercomputers
- Swiss National Bank Has $309.96 Million Holdings in CVS Health Corp (CVS)