A family of five was also rescued with their two dogs from the rooftop of their house in Carpinteria.
Near their property, a least two homes were carried off their foundations by the force of the mudslides - and as bulldozers began to clear muck and debris from areas already searched by rescue teams, utility crews have started trying to fix downed power lines and snapped telephone poles.
Areas in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties were those hardest hit and hundreds of people are awaiting evacuation.
Footage Oprah shared on the site included flames that were burning due to a nearby gas leak, while another video showed the star walking through her backyard with wellington boots on.
Winfrey's home survived the storm and mudslides.
Police use rubber bullets to disperse EFF H&M protesters
The site reports that police eventually had to intervene, firing off rubber bullets to make the protesters scatter. Disoloane also issued an ultimatum to the shop management, demanding that they force H&M to close.
Both local authorities and the U.S. Coast Guard were involved in response operations throughout the day Wednesday, including helicopter rescues and attempting to retrieve residents trapped inside their homes.
That number has now officially risen to 17. The Catholic school's headmaster Michael van Hecke said Mr Rohter's wife had been injured in the mudslide.
"Right now, our assets are focused on determining if anyone is still alive in any of those structures that have been damaged", Brown told CNN affiliate KCAL. This type of soil can not absorb water as easily, making the region more vulnerable to mudslides during heavy rains-such as the ones that dumped five inches of rain on parts of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties this week.
Burned vegetation and charred soil create a repellent layer which prevents this rainwater from being absorbed.
- Bjelica, Towns ignite late rally in Timberwolves win
- Overview Of Different Chart Patterns: Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ALXN), Amgen Inc. (AMGN)
- Iconic college football announcer Keith Jackson dies
- Most Active Stock: Eastman Kodak Co. (NYSE:KODK)
- Bandai Namco announced the re-release of the game Dark Souls
- Top CEOs Urge DACA Action In Open Letter To Congress
- Reaction to judge's decision to block the end of DACA
- Boeing's cargo UAV a shot in the arm for drone delivery market
- S&P 500 edges higher as calm continues to reign for stocks
- Investors Buy Electronic Arts (EA) on Weakness on Insider Selling