The Princeton's graduate, who formerly worked in a speculative fund, has now ousted Bill Gates ($91.8 billion) and businessman Warren Buffet ($85.3 billion) to become the richest man in the world.
Bezos's top spot on the billionaire list makes sense, given Amazon's sales figures and growth - Amazon captured 89 percent of the online shopping spend in the USA over the five-week Thanksgiving holiday period, according to an analysis from Earnest Research.
Bill Gates's fortune would have been a lot higher had he not donated much of it to charity.
Reading the Tea Leaves for The Western Union Company (WU)
Conning Incorporated has 0.01% invested in The Western Union Company (NYSE:WU). 11,400 were reported by Haverford Fincl. Dimensional Fund Advsrs Limited Partnership reported 0.02% of its portfolio in The Western Union Company (NYSE:WU).
It is estimated that Gates would be worth United States $150 billion today if he held on to his assets that he's given away, mostly to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Gates has given away 700 million shares of Microsoft, which are worth more than $60 billion along with nearly $3 billion in cash. The news comes down from CNN and comes by way of the billionaire tracker operated by Bloomberg.
Mr Bezos also controls closely held space exploration business Blue Origin and the Washington Post. He did surpass Gates's record of $100 billion from 1999 - but only in dollar amounts. John D. Rockefeller, the first American billionaire, had his fortune in 1918 estimated to be worth $1.5 billion. Today he is back in the news, this time around as Jeff Bezos Is Now The Richest Person of All-Time.
Don't miss: Will North Korea Attack the U.S.? Those shares jumped 1.4 percent on Monday, making him $1.4 billion richer.
- Youth Arrested For Issuing Death Threat To Bihar CM Nitish Kumar
- Queen reveals 'dangerous' crown could 'break her NECK' in rare interview
- LG Shows Off 65-Inch OLED TV That Rolls Up
- Ex-Real Madrid defender Pavon backs coach Zidane
- PM meet with economists, experts; focus on farmer
- Local human trafficking victim shares story of survival
- Weird dim star isn't due to alien megastructure - it's just dust
- Theresa May to start shifting ministers in Cabinet reshuffle
- Southwestern Energy (SWN) Raised to "Buy" at ValuEngine
- Kwara United Team Bus Involved In Major Accident