Avoiding arbitration also has the added benefit of not bringing Russell's recent off-the-field issues into the spotlight again, which would've been fair game in hearings to determine the value of his contract.
Kris Bryant has agreed to a $10.85 million, one-year deal with the Chicago Cubs, a record for a player eligible for arbitration for the first time. He ranked third in WAR in 2016 and 16th last season.
Economic Watch: Manufacturing Surges, Construction Scores Record High
The headline number in the latest survey was boosted by healthy gains in new orders (up from 64.0 to 69.4), as noted above. In December, the PMI came in at 59.7%, which marked a 1.5% jump from November's reading (58.2%).
Baseball's current collective bargaining agreement provides language that allows clubs a wide lens to analyze a player's contributions, "including but not limited to his overall performance, special qualities of leadership and public appeal".
Eligible for arbitration under Super 2 rules, Bryant missed the All-Star Game for the first time, saw his homer numbers fall from 39 to 29 even as his OPS rose from.939 to.946 and his RBI total drop from 102 to 73. He was promoted to the majors early on during the 2015 season and finishing hitting.275 with 26 home runs and 99 RBIs. He played a vital role in winning the Cubs' first World Series titles in over 100 years back in 2016, including making the final out of the World Series. The Cubs have never gone to arbitration with a player in the Theo Epstein-Jed Hoyer era. Among those reaching agreements Thursday were New York Yankees outfielder Aaron Hicks ($2,825,000), Cleveland reliever Zach McAllister ($2.45 million), Detroit catcher James McCann ($2,375,000), Houston outfielder Jake Marisnick ($1.9 million), Los Angeles Angels reliever Blake Parker ($1.8 million) and New York Yankees reliever Tommy Kahnle ($1,312,500).
- India beat Pakistan in Blind Cricket World Cup Match
- Hochschild Sells 15258 Shares of Discover Financial Services (NYSE:DFS) Stock
- Trump speaks well of his relationship with N. Korean dictator
- Tesla Model 3 Going on Display at Palo Alto Showroom
- Cuts Stake in Microsoft Co. (NASDAQ:MSFT)
- Lattimore returns to SC as staff member
- Llc Acquires 228535 Shares of Cheniere Energy Partners LP (CQP) Stock
- GKN shares skyrocket after it thwarts £7bn takeover
- Pioneer Natural Resources Company (PXD)
- Chicago Bears hire Mark Helfrich as offensive coordinator