The CDC has reported a large spike in flu hospitalizations in recent weeks among adults age 65 and older, which jumped from 13.7 out of every 100,000 hospitalizations on December 2 to 35.8 per 100,000 as of December 23.
Hospitals from South Bend to Evansville have imposed restrictions that include barring visitors other than immediate family or other significant persons.
The CDC reports that influenza activity has increased significantly in recent weeks and is now widespread in the state of California.
The so-called "Aussie flu" - or strain H3N2 - is a mutated strain, meaning it is less effective against vaccination.
Health experts have predicted that 2017-2018 could be a rough flu season, following reports of record numbers of cases this year in Australia, where it is summer now and flu season has ended. Predicting the right type of flu to arm against is the key because the immune response is not good at dealing with changes in virus structure that influenza can get through mutation.
Antiviral drugs (which require a doctor's orders) won't totally cure the flu, but they can make symptoms milder and shorter, and they are especially effective if taken in the first 48 hours of illness onset.
The release did not indicate if anyone in the county over the age of 65 has died of the flu this season.
This week, there has been a spike in the number of influenza cases across the country.
Troubled Carillion lines up administrator amid rescue talks
It also maintains 50,000 homes for the Ministry of Defence, manages almost 900 schools and manages highways and prisons. It is also one of the biggest suppliers of maintenance services to Network Rail and manages schools, roads and prisons.
Obviously, try to avoid close contact with those who are sick.
The so-called "Aussie flu", a particularly virulent strain of influenza A, is said to have helped trigger the huge rise in cases along with an aggressive B subtype.
Lara Anton, Press Officer, Texas Department of State Health Services provided information on the incident of flu statewide.
"But", said Campbell, "in any one year the flu can mutate a few times".
People who are immunochallenged will suffer the worst, Killingsworth said.
Not everyone with flu will have a fever.
At St. Mary's Hospital, there have been 86 cases of the flu and 137 cases of strep throat, according to Andrew Dilbeck, marketing specialist for the hospital. Pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections are examples of complications from flu.
- Top Democrat seeks to interview Ivanka Trump in Russian Federation probe
- Trump's lawyer sues BuzzFeed over Steele dossier
- Carrie Underwood, Ludacris write song for Super Bowl
- Chelsea's hopes to build Europe's most expensive stadium hit stumbling block
- Dancing on Ice star QUITS after just one week
- Saudi women attend sports event for first time
- Oprah Winfrey 2020? Columnist Revisits Controversies Surrounding TV Personality
- NFL Playoff Divisional Round Schedule and Predictions
- Lindsay Lohan is designing an island in Dubai amid her movie comeback
- What's The Story Behind Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ:CY)