President Jacob Zuma's cheerleader‚ the ANC Youth League‚ has vowed to oppose any attempts to have him recalled at Wednesday's special national executive committee (NEC) meeting in East London. ANC policy is that the party leader should also be the country's president so as not to divide authority between president of the country and the president of the party.
Sent from Maubane Mphahlele Inc., the letter said Transform RSA's attorneys were acting on behalf of members of the public "who have direct material and vested interests in the above matter, pursuant to the provisions of the Constitution of South Africa governing both election and removal of a President of South Africa".
Zuma's announcement comes the day before parliament is to take up a draft of a process for removing the nation's president from office.
Ramaphosa was said to be negotiating Zuma's resignation as head of state.
Fick said it is unlikely that the ANC would take the bold step of letting Zuma be removed through a parliamentary process should he refuse to adhere to a party process. "If not, it will be war which only Cyril can win - but at great cost to his party and his presidency".
European Union top lawyer says Romania must accept gay partners
The ECJ's 28 judges are not bound by the opinions of the advocate generals, but follow them in the majority of cases. Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Slovakia still grant no legal recognition to same-sex couples.
Zuma, however, has shown no intentions of resigning.
In 2016 a damning report questioned Zuma's dealings with the Guptas, a wealthy family of Indian origin, who allegedly were granted influence over his cabinet appointments. The president approved the probe in a private meeting with Ramaphosa on January 7, according to three ANC officials with knowledge of the matter who asked not to be identified because the talks weren't publicly disclosed.
President would be discussed, the official period in office will end in mid-2019.
At 1430 GMT, the rand was up 0.28 percent to 12.3500 against the dollar from a close of 12.3800 overnight in NY.
- UIDAI Introduces 16-Digit Virtual Aadhaar ID For More Security!
- Former Isle of Wight Businessman "Guilty" Of BHS Pension Charges
- Oil tanker still ablaze, search for missing crew continues
- John Cena Expands Relationship With Nickelodeon
- WWE Royal Rumble 2018 Spoiler: Two Former Women's Champions Returning?
- Directors Guild nominees include Greta Gerwig, Chicago's Jordan Peele
- Bangladeshi immigrant indicted for NY subway bomb attack
- Intel: Chip performance takes a 6% hit with security updates
- Monaco must 'prepare' for Thomas Lemar interest - Leonardo Jardim
- AstraZeneca Receives FDA Approval for Breast Cancer Treatment