Several sequels were released before Ubisoft bought the series and released the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 game Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time in 2003.
However, the game's original creator, Jordan Mechner, has hinted that he's now trying to convince Ubisoft to raise the prince from his slumber.
OnlySP is your first port of call for all single-player gaming news.
This week, model and TV host Chrissy Teigen posted on Twitter about how she had enjoyed Prince of Persia and wondered if the franchise was still alive.
'Drunk' Russian crashes tank into store, goes shopping
Having said that, it's still something to see someone take that vehicle and plow it into a storefront for some wine. He was later arrested in possession of a stolen bottle of wine, Hibinform said.
In response to a tweet from a fan, who loves the franchise and lamented its long absence, Mechner responded that he was working on it, and was "doing [his] best to make it happen!". Mechner was behind the original Prince of Persia game that launched in 1989 and has been on board to help with other entries in the series, including the 2001 reboot that relaunched the series into stardom.
From where we're sitting, it appears that Mechner is keen on bringing Prince of Persia to modern machines, but Ubisoft isn't playing ball right now.
Considering Assassin's Creed has its roots in Prince of Persia, it's definitely time for the former to retire for a few years.
Speaking of Assassin's Creed, a concept art has leaked on the internet suggesting that the next Assassin's Creed will be set in Feudal Japan. Now, like many of us, she wants to know what's happening with Prince of Persia. Let us know in the comments.
- Sushma Swaraj,Shashi Tharoor spar over making Hindi official language at United Nations
- Pak-US cooperation imperative for regional peace: Foreign Office
- Arsene Wenger sticking to his guns in penalty row
- Washington Trust Bank Reduces Stake in Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ)
- Global Warming Is Turning 99 Percent Of Northern Queensland's Turtles Female
- Make Dlamini-Zuma Interim President and I'll step down
- Stocks in Motion: Alcoa Inc. (AA), Lam Research Corporation (LRCX)
- Messi stars as Barca thrash Celta to reach Copa del Rey Q/finals
- Scandal - How to Get Away with Murder crossover happening at ABC
- Pelosi's 'five white guys' joke not well received by peer