Bilateral talks between the nuclear-armed neighbours are on the back-burner, with tensions running high over territorial issues and terrorism.
Pakistan's handling of terrorists, with 26/11 terror attacks mastermind Hafiz Saeed being freed from police custody and attempting to join mainstream politics, and Lashkar-e-Taiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi remaining out on bail, is also assumed to have figured in the conversation.
Efforts to revive the official dialogue process took place immediately after the Narendra Modi government came to office in 2014.
The Spokesperson said that the NSA-level metings were part of an "operational-level dialogue" similar to the talks that are held between the DGMOs of both sides and between the border forces of two countries.
The stated position that "talks and terror" can not go together applies to the dialogue process but that does not close the other mechanisms for contact between the two countries, he said. "We have said terror and talks cannot go together but talks on terror can definitely go ahead", he added.
England boss Southgate explains why Nigeria Wembley clash June 2
The Three Lions will face Tunisia in their Russian Federation 2018 debut before taking on Panama and Belgium in Group G. Certainly, it is going to be a big match, between two countries of remarkable historical affinity and similarities.
The meeting took place in Bangkok on December 26, a day after ex-Indian Navy official Commander Kulbhushan Jadhav, who is languishing in Pak custody, met his mother and wife in Islamabad. Raveesh made it clear that the meeting date of the NSAs was pre-decided.
The "talks on terror" model to engage Pakistan is a break in India's position that India had taken following the attack on the Pathankot airbase when New Delhi had cancelled the Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue (CBD).
National security advisors of India and Pakistan held a "secret" meeting in Thailand, a senior Pakistani official said on January 1.
NSAs of both the sides had held a "secret" meeting in Thailand on December 27 past year.
The confirmation of the NSA-level engagement comes nearly two weeks after news reports said the two NSAs had met in Thailand. This was the first visit by an Indian prime minister to Pakistan in a decade.
- Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Step Out for Hot Pilates Session
- Hornets topple Warriors, Rockets and Thunder fall
- Why are people eating Tide pods?
- Macron's visit to Iran still on France agenda
- Turkey Says US Conviction of Banker is 'Unprecedented Interference'
- Brees turns back the clock, leads Saints past Panthers in National Football League playoffs
- Armed Men Disrupt Salman Khan's Race 3 Shooting; Superstar Rushed Back Home
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Now Fully Rolled Out Worldwide
- Hirvonen happy with the opening stages of the 2018 Dakar Rally
- Pistons exploring trades; reportedly interested in Nikola Mirotic