His 1.69 ERA in 18 appearances that season compelled the Dodgers to sign him, and he became a key part of their pen in 2017.
Morrow has a career 4.05 ERA in the regular season as both a starter and a reliever. With last year's closer from the Cubs, Wade Davis, becoming a free agent, Morrow could end up finishing games for the Cubs after his numbers were spectacular in 2016. In the regular season, he had 35 appearances with a 2.06 ERA and a ideal 6-0 record with 50 strikeouts in 43 2/3 innings. Morrow hasn't allowed a home run since September 8, 2016, to Cristhian Adames of the Rockies. The Cubs are still after more arms as the winter meetings begin.
The agreement will be official once Morrow passes a physical examination.
Panthers host 10-2 Vikings in tough matchup
OLSEN'S RETURN: Panthers tight end Greg Olsen appears ready to go against the Vikings, his first extensive action since Week 2. They dropped eight of their first 10, then won seven of eight and then lost six of seven before their current streak.
Multiple relievers from the 2017 Cubs team are now free agents, so adding Morrow has been a priority from the start of the offseason.
Even with that addition, the Cubs will still need more bullpen help, as Hector Rondon was non-tendered and pitchers like Pedro Strop and Carl Edwards Jr. struggled at times last season.
The Cubs took their first major step toward addressing their pitching staff Thursday by signing starting pitcher Tyler Chatwood to a three-year, $38 million contract.
- Josh Gordon Scores First Touchdown Since December 2013
- House OKs GOP gun rights bill
- Trump celebrates Hanukkah, Jerusalem at White House
- Blues place Schwartz on IR, recall Barbashev from Chicago
- Storm Caroline batters Britain with 'flying debris' and 90mph gales
- Texas A&M's Zaycoven Henderson Arrested After Allegedly Pointing Gun at People
- Philippines' Duterte to seek one-year extension of Mindanao martial law
- Thief steals five Salvation Army kettles holding almost $1000
- Philippe Coutinho demands assurances from Liverpool over Barcelona transfer
- Allianz Asset Management GmbH Decreases Stake in NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI)