Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said on Wednesday that Jerusalem was the "eternal capital of the State of Palestine" in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's announcement that he was recognizing the city as Israel's capital.
Trump informed Abbas on Tuesday of "his intention" to relocate the US Embassy in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, Abbas's spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeinah said.
In turn, the UN Secretary-General, antónio Guterres, said that the question of the status of Jerusalem should be resolved through bilateral negotiations, on the basis of the relevant resolutions of the Security Council and the UN General Assembly and taking into account the interests of the Palestinian and Israeli sides.
Rajoub is part of Fatah, the ruling political party in Palestine.
United States trade body rules Canadian softwood hurts USA industry
The disagreement centers on the fees paid by Canadian lumber mills for timber cut largely from government-owned land. The commission voted 4-0 in favor of the lumber industry, according to the USA lumber coalition.
Rajoub also signalled that Abbas would not meet with Pence during his planned visit later this month.
Outrage directed at the US has emerged after President Donald Trump announced recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and also stated he would begin the process of relocating the USA embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
"After more than two decades of waivers, we are no closer to a lasting peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians", Trump added. According to Palestinian officials, the United States moving its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem or recognizing the city as Israel's capital is equivalent to siding with Israel's claim to all of Jerusalem.
- Theo Walcott Could Be Set For Premier League Switch, Next Month
- Top Performer of the day: Lowe's Companies, Inc. (LOW)
- Famous director sued for allegedly raping underage boy
- Applied Materials, Inc. (AMAT) Shares Bought by Brighton Jones LLC
- Convenience Store Installs Anti-Drug Lights To Deter Heroin Use In Bathrooms
- Death Stranding's New Trailer Shows A Baby Inside Norman Reedus
- Gary Bettman announces National Hockey League is open to expansion process in Seattle
- Facebook Live can now broadcast Messenger games
- Man United to Give Mourinho Budget of €90M for January Transfer Window
- Penn State football's Saquon Barkley wins Silver Football for second-straight year