While his 132-pounder set a record for the district's hunt, Leon already held - and still holds - the all-round state record with his 2013 capture of an 18-foot, eight-inch python, officials said.
"Got her out, shot her right in the head while I was holding her", Leon said Monday in a video released by the South Florida Water Management District.
A snake measuring more than 17 feet and bagged last week is the longest ever caught in Florida's Python Elimination Program.
The invasive Burmese python, which breeds and multiplies quickly and has no natural predator in the Everglades ecosystem, has decimated native populations of wildlife. He described it as being able to "kill any full-grown man".
NY flight to Seattle forced to make emergency potty break
The aircraft then taxied the runway while there were "passengers that needed to find a lavatory very urgently". The Delta fliers needed to relieve "built-up pressures" after the plane's bathrooms stopped working.
Burmese pythons are an invasive species in Florida and are wreaking havoc in the Everglades. The snake was found in the company of a small male snake.
Since March, the program has eradicated more than 700 snakes in on District lands in Miami-Dade, Broward and Collier counties, which, if laid out end to end, would measure over 1.4 km and weigh over 4,500 kilos.
The hunters are paid $8.10 per hour for the hunt, plus a bounty for each snake caught. The program pays $50 for for a four-foot snake and $25 for each additional foot beyond that.
For this snake, the hunters will receive a total of $375.
- Taggart says FSU job a dream fulfilled
- General strike in Palestine over Trump's decision
- EJF Capital LLC Has $475000 Stake in Cone Midstream Partners LP (CNNX)
- US Health Care Spending Reached $3.3 Trillion in 2016
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA)
- Lululemon Athletica Builds Momentum Going Into the Holidays
- Canada invites 32 players to Junior Team selection camp
- Weight loss can reverse type 2 diabetes
- 'The Twilight Zone' Reboot From Jordan Peele, Simon Kinberg Ordered To Series
- John Conyers III arrested in February for domestic violence; not prosecuted