Users that mined to an external wallet for an additional fee are out unpaid balances less than 0.01 BTC, but sadly users that mined to an internal wallet have potentially losts hundreds or thousands of mined bitcoin.
The announcement follows an hours-long outage and reports from a multitude of users that their NiceHash-associated wallets had been emptied. It has halted all services for the next 24 hours while it investigates, but thanks to the public blockchain, there's speculation that Nicehash may have lost upward of 4,700 BTC, presently worth more than $63 million Dollars. The venture's main webpage showed a "maintenance" error message, linking to its social media accounts.
Site operators advised users to change their passwords when the site returns online.
Apparently, NiceHash's payment system was compromised and unfortunately, its Bitcoin wallet was raided.
Body Cam Footage of Ralph Shortey Arrest Released
In exchange for his guilty plea, federal prosecutors have agreed to drop three child pornography counts against him. Shortey faces between 10 years and life in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 for child sex trafficking.
While the NiceHash operators seem honest with their statement, those words ring hollow for users that lost their accumulated BTC. "We are working to verify the precise number of BTC taken", the company said in a statement, calling the breach "a matter of deep concern". NiceHash paused operations for 24 hours to determine how many bitcoins were stolen and how. NiceHash says it will relaunch itself with improved security "at the earliest opportunity". We will endeavor to update you at regular intervals.
"We understand that you will have a lot of questions, and we ask for patience and understanding while we investigate the causes and find the appropriate solutions for the future of the service", the company said, advising users to change their online passwords as a precaution.
"We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused and are committing every resource towards solving this issue as soon as possible", the firm concluded.
- Spellings, Jr. Sells 9379 Shares of Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) Stock
- Breast cancer risk remains in newer hormone contraceptives
- Cyclone Ockhi: 1400 safe, efforts won't stop, says Nirmala Sitharaman
- Amazon.com (AMZN) Earns News Impact Rating of 0.11
- Acknowledging the facts and figures for: Simon Property Group, Inc. (SPG)
- North Korea missile: Inconsistencies spotted in Hwasong-15 images
- BMO Capital Markets Initiates Coverage on Broadcom (NASDAQ:AVGO)
- Traders Buy Lam Research (LRCX) on Weakness
- Al Jazira beat Auckland City in FIFA Club World Cup opener
- Consumer Bureau Lifts Freeze on Payments to Crime Victims