It's a different varietal called Daily 11 that's typically three times larger than the standard avocado.
Pamela Wang found the 5lb avocado on Sunday while out walking in the Kealakekua area of the island, the West Hawaii Today newspaper reported.
It's so heavy that Wang submitted her find to Guinness World Records. The current record holder, Gabriel Ramirez Nahim of Venezuela, discovered a 4-pound (1.8kg) avocado in 2009.
A woman in Hawaii has contacted Guinness World Records to see if she may have the world's heaviest avocado.
She provided photographs of the avocado to West Hawaii Today.
Unscheduled landing for Air NZ flight
Meares said they were satisfied that the company was doing the right things to ensure the travelling public's continuing safety. The airline is cancelling and rescheduling some worldwide flights due to the incidents.
Guinness doesn't have a category for "largest avocado", but it does have one for "heaviest", the record Wang is trying to break.
Wang said she picks up avocados every day, but this one was hard to miss. Instead of making a very large batch of avocado toast, Wang chose to show her discovery to a few friends, who immediately thought the avocado would be potentially record-breaking.
Guinness's verification process requires the fruit to be photographed and weighed in the presence of an expert - in this case Ken Love, a farmer and head of the organisation Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers. Her next move was to the Pure Kona Green Market, where she met up with friends and showed the enormous avocado to community members. "I think people have other ones that they don't weigh, but I think this one, it was way up there".
"It tasted excellent", Wang said.
- Corey Feldman's 1993 audio recordings concerning alleged Hollywood pedophiles have been found
- Facebook App For iPhone Aimed At Catering to Child Users
- Minnesota Timberwolves game preview: December 6 at Los Angeles Clippers
- Jack Dylan Grazer to star in "Shazam!"
- Dragon's Crown Pro Confirmed For Western Release In Spring 2018
- Louisiana would be hard hit if DACA comes to an end
- GVC ups stakes in United Kingdom gambling with $5.2 billion Ladbrokes bid
- IPhone X Plus: More details emerge about plans for 2018 iPhones
- Nissan to put robo-taxis on road in 2018
- Shares in Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO) Purchased by WINTON GROUP Ltd