"According to the Police Act and regulations, the force Criminal and Investigation and Intelligence, force CID, is the highest investigating arm of the Nigerian police".
24 hours ago, the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, ordered the immediate re-organisation of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) following public outcry of the violent and exploitative measures against innocent citizens by members of the squad.
Nigerians still demand the scrapping of the SARS.
"The police zonal commands, state commands and divisions will continue to operate anti-crime units/sections, crime prevention and control squads and teams imperative to prevent and detect crimes and criminalities in their area of responsibilities, and other crack squads necessary to sustain law and order and protection of life and properties in their area of responsibilities". The complaints vary from extra-judicial killings, brutality, torture, arrest for bribe and other menacing conduct by the men of the unit.
"Going through some Tweets with the hashtag, they are kind of people that make me lose Hope in Society bit more".
The IGP said the move to reorganise the police unit is to ensure that it operates "based on worldwide core value of policing with integrity and (to) make sure the rule of law prevails in the operations and activities of the outfit".
Airtel Now Offers An Intex Smartphone At Rs 1649
The Intex Aqua A4 also has a full touch 4-inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen of 800x480p display resolution. The Intex Aqua Lions N1 is a dual SIM (GSM and GSM) smartphone that accepts Micro-SIM and Micro-SIM.
Though the police have debunked some of the allegations levelled against them as untrue, the #EndSARS organisers are planning a nationwide protest as part of the citizen-led initiative to end the widespread impunity in the police.
"I'm aware that in 2015, the then IGP, Solomon Arase, had due to incessant reports of abuses by the squad split SARS into two units with a view to checking its human rights abuses".
This indeed was by ensuring that officers can not make arrest and investigate the same case. However, the abuses have continued.
The organisation warned that Nigeria has obligations under worldwide and regional human rights law to uphold the absolute prohibition of torture and other ill-treatment.
In his remarks, the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, said it was appropriate for the matter to be sent to the committee for consideration.
I call on this chamber to mandate the ad hoc committee on security to investigate this issue of human rights abuses by SARS and make relevant recommendations.
- Okorocha appoints sister commissioner for Happiness and Couples' Fulfillment
- Mueller has spent $3.2M on Russian Federation investigation
- Featured Stock for Investors: Barrick Gold Corporation (NYSE:ABX)
- DirecTV Now passes 1 million customer mark
- BMO Capital Raises Ball (NYSE:BLL) Stock To a Outperform Rating
- Liberum Capital Increases UNITE Group (UTG) Price Target to GBX 850
- Spanish court withdraws arrest warrant for former Catalan President Puigdemont
- Trump Says GOP Tax Plan Is Becoming 'More Popular.' Is He Right?
- US Private Sector Employment Climbs More Than Expected In November
- Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) Coverage Initiated at Moffett Nathanson