Canterbury seamer Matt Henry has pipped Auckland speedster Lockie Ferguson for the vacant fast-medium spot in the New Zealand team for the first test against the West Indies starting at the Basin Reserve on Friday.
West Indies have struggled in recent times and now lie eighth in the Test rankings, well behind the Black Caps who are fourth.
The tourists have notched up wins against Pakistan, England and Zimbabwe this year, and they impressed against New Zealand A in their only tour warm up match at Lincoln.
The last time West Indies faced New Zealand in a Test, in June 2014, Jason Holder made his debut and was part of a team that suffered a series defeat at home.
On a typical green Basin Reserve wicket, Holder won the toss and elected to bowl only to see New Zealand post 441 and then roll the West Indies for 193 and 175.
Meanwhile, uncapped wicketkeeper-batsman Tom Blundell is also in line to make Test debut for New Zealand after being drafted in the squad as BJ Watling's replacement, who was ruled out due to a hip injury.
Parents To Name First-Born Daughter "Olivia Garton" After Their Favorite Chain Restaurant
Garton says the restaurant reached out to the couple and told them they would have a special gift for Olivia when she is born. Olivia is the couple's new daughter and, according to Justin Garton, now she will forever be linked to the pasta eatery.
New Zealand team for the first test: Kane Williamson (c), Jeet Raval, Tom Latham, Ross Taylor, Henry Nicholls, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Tom Blundell, Matt Henry, Neil Wagner, Trent Boult.
The West Indies believe they have the batsmen to thrive in New Zealand conditions, but inconsistency has been the Achilles heel they will need to overcome to beat the hosts. I think once we get on the park and play as one, I think the performances will come.
He took five wickets in the match and had a good game.
"They do move the ball and it'll be a really tough challenge".
Trent Boult is feeling optimistic ahead of the Blackcaps first ODI match of the year against the West Indies in Wellington.
"Lockie's been in good form domestically and showed good signs for New Zealand A as well".
- Is Nargis Fakhri living in Uday Chopra's Juhu house now?
- Madhusudanan is AIADMK candidate for RK Nagar bye-election
- Greg Berlanti's coming of age comedy-drama Love, Simon gets a trailer
- Four militants gunned down in Kashmir encounter
- Ben Stokes signs with Canterbury ahead of NZ domestic competition on Sunday
- Mulayam Singh's Bahu Aparna Yadav Dances To Ghoomar
- Google launches app to for mobile phone users in emerging markets
- Final Fantasy XV: Character Swapping, Episode Ardyn Coming
- Instagram's secretly testing a handful of new features
- Tip slams Grammys for not nominating A Tribe Called Quest