Virtual reality had a fairly rough start, with Oculus, HTC, and Sony all vying for a piece of the burgeoning market. Incumbents and new players entering the market are targeting similar price points. '[Facebook's head of VR] Hugo Barra is betting on his next product, the $199 Oculus Go standalone headset, to reach more users next year. "The Go will excite first-time users, but driving adoption beyond social media will be a challenge".
Sony also managed to boost sales thanks to the relatively low $399 (£320) price, which was soon matched by Oculus and is one of the reasons why Canalys believes sales of its Rift spiked. The home of the entertainment and electronics giant has embraced gaming VR, and has various "VR experience zones" stationed around the country. PSVR bundles are popular too, with titles such as Doom, Skyrim and Gran Turismo thrown in.
The market's getting a shake-up, though, with Thielke claiming that Microsoft's heavy push for its Windows Mixed Reality platform, including the launch of third-party headsets which are priced lower than the competition, will drive adoption still further - likely cutting down on the triopoly's share of the market.
China Development Bank files insolvency suit against debt-ridden Reliance Communication
Its offers of free voice calls and data plans, which continued for months, eroded the revenue and profits of rivals such as RCom. Shares in RCom were trading down 4.5 percent in mid-morning trade after having fallen as much as 9.4 percent earlier.
VR headset shipment data is taken from Canalys' Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Analysis service, which provides quarterly market tracking.
The tracking service defines a VR headset as 'a device with a display created to be work on the face that immerses the viewer in a virtual world.' It excludes simple viewers, basically those that use a smartphone.
Sales of VR headsets are on the rise, with third quarter of 2017 yielding better sales results for VR than any previous period. A basic VR headset is a device serving a specific set of purposes that is created to be worn on the face and not carried, can not run third-party computing applications independently and is generally tethered by cable to a desktop PC.
- NASA's Mars soil simulant witnesses earthworm reproduction, crop growth
- Kim Kardashian Announced Her New Highlighters With The Most Extra Ad Possible
- Deputy PM resigns, averting Irish government collapse and snap election
- Top Senate Republicans Look To Pass Tax Bill This Week
- Brokers Set Expectations for Novavax, Inc.'s FY2018 Earnings (NVAX)
- Rea proud to be in SPOTY running
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will marry in May at Windsor Castle
- Chelsea Joins the Hunt for Dortmund Star Aubameyang
- $0.39 EPS Expected for American Eagle Outfitters (AEO)
- S&P Retail SPDR (XRT): KAMA Trending Higher on This Stock