Earlier authorities had said that an anti-terror operation is underway in the Tbilisi suburbs, and terror suspects have opened gunfire at special forces.
She said surveillance of the suspects had been going on for several weeks and that the state security service was working with worldwide counter-terrorism bodies to identify the group's members and their links to criminal networks.
A spokeswoman told RFE that the militants were "foreign nationals" with suspected links to an unnamed terror organization.
A special operation commenced at approximately 4am this morning, at Monk Gabriel street in the Isani district of Tbilisi, where according to locals, gunshots were heard during the night, Georgian media reports.
But Georgian media reports said the gunmen were suspected of having ties with Islamic State (IS) extremists. One security officer has been killed.
Wedbush Securities Inc. Sells 4659 Shares of Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)
The stock of Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM) has "Conviction Buy" rating given on Wednesday, July 22 by Goldman Sachs. Messner & Smith Theme Value Invest Limited Ca reported 0.88% of its portfolio in Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM).
The area has been evacuated as security forces continue their efforts to detain the suspects.
The Georgian television showed footage of an apartment fire in a building of several floors, dozens of soldiers and an armoured vehicle.
Thick smoke poured from the building for several hours, suggesting that the blast ignited a fire inside.
In addition to the positions held by armored personnel carriers, security forces were blocking all of the exits of the building and other buildings nearby.
- Woman raises more than $40000 for charitable homeless man in Pennsylvania
- Protected albino deer killed in Pepin County
- Revenue Estimates Analysis Of WPX Energy, Inc. (WPX)
- Wichita police deliver Thanksgiving meals to people in need
- Trading Patterns In Focus: Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR), Infosys Limited (INFY)
- Israeli Energy Minister Reveals Jewish State's Covert Ties With Saudi Arabia
- Associated Bank to match Red Kettle donations
- First Reformed Church Providing 17th Annual Free Thanksgiving Meal
- Russell Simmons Accuser Keri Claussen Khalighi: 1991 Rape Was 'Confusing and Terrifying'
- MS-13 gang member arrested for murder; victim stabbed over 100 times