In a veiled attack on BJP, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Sunday said former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi fought for secularism and against those who wanted to divide society on religion and caste lines.
Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi was an Indian stateswoman and central figure of the Indian National Congress.
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be the recipient of this year's Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development. She was assassinated by her bodyguards at her Safdarjung residence in New Delhi on October 31, 1984.
Gandhi was born on 19 November, 1917 and was the second longest-serving prime minister after her father Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
North Korea On An Aggressive Schedule To Build Ballistic Missile Submarine
The images, dated November 5, indicate objects that could be parts of the submarine's pressure hull based on their shapes. North Korea is also thought to be working on a solid-fuel missile for submarine launches.
He termed Indira as India's iron lady, adding that his career as a parliamentarian was mentored by the former prime minister. Although her declaration of emergency in the nation from between 1975 and 1977 was considered a dark part of India's history, Indira returned to power in 1980 after free and fair elections, cementing her popularity. "That is what inspired her in all her battles - those she took on and those that she faced", Sonia Gandhi said. Titled "Indira: A Life of Courage", the exclusive photographic exhibition was inaugurated to commemorate the birth centenary of former the former prime minister.
In 1966, after the death of Shastri, the party held parliamentary party election. Her political acumen and ruthlessness had no parallel and she even worked in the Indian struggle for freedom while she was a child.
The manner in which she went to war with Pakistan, helped liberate Bangladesh and the Pokhran project displayed her strong leadership qualities.
- Manchester City defender Stones 'out for six weeks': Guardiola
- Rey Maualuga Reportedly Arrested, Waived By Dolphins
- Cambodia charges 2 journalists with espionage
- Patidars to hold rally in support of Hardik despite denial of permission
- New Orleans elects first female mayor in city history
- Texas A&M VS. Ole Miss preview, Sumlin talks Rebel offense
- Tennessee fumbles its way to a halftime deficit vs. LSU
- Ann Wedgeworth, 'Evening Shade,' 'Three's Company' star, dead at 83
- Turkish prosecutors launch probe into 2 United States attorneys
- Meryl Streep Once Stopped an Attacker With the Help of Cher