Google has emailed the developers of apps which use the accessibility features notifying them that they have 30 days (from Friday 10 November) to either convince Google that the app needs the feature for accessibility reasons, remove/replace the functionality, or take down the app from the Play Store.
Dear Partner, We hereby emphasis again that UC Union prohibits any and all misleading/malicious advertising method (s) to procure new users when promoting UC Browser campaigns, such as by using slogan inconsistent with the Product functions, or by using inductive slogan.
Two of the apps, namely Phommary and Shop'n Go, qualified in the Social Good category, which are impactful applications that provide social good made in collaboration with an non-government organization or a local government unit.
UC Browser has over 500 million downloads, and is a popular alternative to Chrome in India. The email also informs that such repeated violations may lead to a termination of the developer's account or even related Google accounts as well. The step is in line with a previous report that suggested UC Browser was stealing user sensitive data and sending it back to remote servers in China without user's consent.
Detained UCLA basketball players heading home from China
Three UCLA basketball players held in China for a week are on their way back to Los Angeles, according to the L.A. The U.S. official indicated that the players' charges have been reduced and the case is being resolved.
This privacy issue came to light in August at which time some publications sought clarification from UC Web. "We have strong measures in place to encrypt the data while we transmit it".
At the same time, he didn't deny that user data was being collected but assured that UC Web would do not breach user trust in any way.
Google may have issued this warning in an effort to reduce potential security risk.
The apps cited by Trend Micro have been removed from the Play Store. At least this is the case here in India. You can use your computer or your mobile Android device to download the file.
- Blake Shelton named 'People's Sexiest Man Alive'
- This giant pink diamond could sell for $30 million at auction
- The Salvation Army Kettle Campaign kicks off this week
- Batman Recruits Aquaman in New Justice League Promo
- Lennar Corporation (NYSE:LEN) Earns Hold Rating from Mizuho
- 23 injured in Singapore MRT train accident
- Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's unsolicited proposal
- Kyrie Irving Goes Through Celtics Shootaround, Plans To Play Vs. Nets
- Cards Against Humanity Takes Aim At Trump With New Promotion
- ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK? Film Gets STEPHEN KING'S IT Screenwriter