"At 8.20am, the second train moved forward unexpectedly, and came into contact with the first train", the statement said.
"This morning at 8.18am, a train heading in the direction of Tuas Link Station stalled at Joo Koon Station".
The Straits Times has reached out to SMRT for comment.
"SCDF resources are at the scene attending to the injured", it said in a post on its Facebook page. At 8.19am, a second train stopped behind the first faulty train.
SMRT and the Land Transport Authority are investigating the incident, the train operator said.
This giant pink diamond could sell for $30 million at auction
The necklace, named The Art of de Grisogono, sold for $33.5m - $29.5m plus $4m premium - exceeding pre-sale predictions of $30m. It has since passed through the hands of famous French jeweller Frederic Boucheron and later the Baron von Derwies.
The injured passengers had already been sent to hospitals, SCDF said, adding that many of them sustained minor injuries.
In a tweet at 8.25am, SMRT said that a "train fault" happened at Joo Koon station. The train, which comprised six carriages, had a full capacity of 1,800 passengers, 156 of whom were injured during the peak-hour collision.
As if delays on two separate train lines weren't troubling enough for commuters, some had to contend with injuries sustained from a collision on tracks. Facebook user Mei Anne said she and fellow passengers fell on their backs, and that she was in pain.
A platform at Joo Koon MRT station was cordoned off with police tape following the incident.
Wednesday's collision was the latest knock on Singapore's reputation for slick infrastructure after the city-state witnessed a commuter chaos earlier this year.
- The Salvation Army Kettle Campaign kicks off this week
- Capital Management Associates NY Lowers Holdings in MGM Resorts International (MGM)
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited (BABA) Given Average Rating of "Buy" by Analysts
- Kate's uncle hit wife 'after coke row'
- Detained UCLA basketball players heading home from China
- Wannabe Baahubali tries elephant stunt, gets flung in the air
- ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK? Film Gets STEPHEN KING'S IT Screenwriter
- A Look at Target Price and Valuation of Amtrust Financial (AFSI)
- Denver becomes one of several United States cities to ban cat declawing
- Redskins Place Rob Kelley, Will Compton on Injured Reserve