However, that was better than the INR8.27 billion estimated by analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, India's biggest drug maker, reported a 59% slump in second-quarter net income as intense competition in the USA continued to crimp sales in its largest market.
The company had reported Rs 2,235.14-crore profit in the corresponding quarter past year. Sun's USA unit Taro Pharmaceutical reported a 58% decline in net profit after sales fell 26%.
The company expects the performance to gradually improve in the second half of this year, he added.
China's Geely buys Terrafugia, promises first USA flying vehicle by 2019
Chris Jaran, former managing director for Bell Helicopter China, was also appointed as a board member and will take over as CEO. However, the company did not disclose any financial details concerning the deal, The China Daily newspaper reported today.
US sales for the quarter fell 44 percent to $309 million while sales from India rose 11 percent.
"While there is a gradual recovery post the implementation of GST in India; the underlying growth remains robust", the company said.
In the emerging markets, the sales were at United States dollars 196 million for the second quarter this fiscal, a growth of 16 per cent compared to the same quarter previous year and accounting for 19 per cent of the total sales, the company said. The firm's rest of the world sales were $111 million, which grew by 40 per cent over Q2 previous year. The shares of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries closed today at Rs 526.15 on BSE, down 1.19 per cent from previous close.
"This R&D expenditure includes investments on account of funding the clinical development of our global specialty pipeline." the company said.
- The Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Reiterates Buy Rating for Ladbrokes PLC (LAD)
- Voda, Idea to sell tower assets to ATC for Rs 7850 crore
- Vodafone raises full-year outlook after strong first half
- Prisoner alleges Ram Rahim being given extra time to meet family
- Supergirl star Melissa Benoist hopes to be agent of change on show
- Commissioner says Conor McGregor off UFC 219 card after 3 Arena incident
- Thousand Scientists Claim Human Damage on Earth Irreversible
- Ray Parlour: Spurs are a better team than Arsenal
- OnePlus Security Troubles Mount As Root Access Backdoor Discovered In Preinstalled App
- FDA approves pill with sensor to digitally track medication ingestion