The Senate has approved a $5.5 billion loan request by President Muhammadu Buhari.
According to Buhari's letter on October 4, 2017, the external borrowing was captured in the 2017 budget which has a deficit of N2.35 trillion out of which N2.321 trillion is to be borrowed.
Buhari had asked the upper chamber to approve the borrowing of $2.5 billion to finance the 2017 budget.
The Debt Management Office, DMO has repeatedly said it will help the Nigerian economy to rebalance the government's borrowing by paying down some of its domestic debt via an external borrowing to reduce the cost of borrowing and also to give the real sector some elbow room to access badly needed capital at home.
The committee noted that the $3 billion for refinancing of the country's domestic debts will not lead to an increase in the public debt portfolio. "The projects will improve the federal government's revenue".
Vodafone raises full-year outlook after strong first half
Capex, expressed as percentage of revenues, will likely stay in the "mid-teens", for this year and over the medium term. Shares in Vodafone were trading up 5 percent at 1005 GMT, having earlier hit a three month high of 227.50 pence.
"The Mamblilla hydro power project which has always been abandoned when completed will add substantially to the national grids thus improve power output of the country".
Mambilla Hydropower Project, ii. construction of a second runway at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja, iii. counterpart funding for rail projects iv. construction of the Bode-Bonny Road, with a bridge across the Opobo Channel.
Refinancing refers to the process of eliminating an existing debt with payments from another loan obtained under more favourable terms. This Senate is known to be working together for the benefit of all Nigerians.
In his comment, the Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawan, lauded the executive and the Senate for their cooperation in approval of the loan. "Mr. President, these are infrastructural projects that will have very positive impacts on the economy".
- Campaign Raises More Than $70000 for Woman Who Flipped off Trump
- Whitefish charged Puerto Rico unusually high $300 per hour for workers
- FDA approves pill with sensor to digitally track medication ingestion
- Bangladesh oust India from Under-19 Asia Cup
- Russian Federation accuses U.S. of providing cover for the 'Islamic State' militia
- Cohen & Steers Inc (NYSE:CNS): Institutional Investor Sentiment Up to 1.59
- Jimmy Kimmel's Famous Friends Roast Him for 50th Birthday Late-Night Spectacular
- Saif Ali Khan Gifts Son Taimur A Expensive Car On Children's Day!
- Xbox One X Sells 80000 in the UK During First Week
- Mobile REVVL Plus offers 6-inch display and dual rear cameras