In a likely attempt to stem the tide of game downloads, GameStop has devoted more and more floor space in each store to physical geek culture goods like Funko Pop figurines and T-shirts. The company has yet to say if or when the PowerPass program will return in the future.
Apparently giving out unlimited used games for ten dollars a month is a much more complicated endeavor than anyone first assumed it would be.
GameStop's entrance into the game-rental market comes amid the company's continued financial difficulties. However, as of today, that scenario is no longer possible.
A fully functioning and consumer-friendly PowerPass program might give customers a reason to choose GameStop over their respective gaming platform's online marketplace, but for now, it seems the physical video game library dream will have to wait.
Rams G Rodger Saffold nominated for Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award
The award was established in 2014 in honor of Art Rooney Sr ., the late founding owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Current NFL players will vote on the award, which will be announced prior to the Super Bowl in February.
It's understandable for a new program to experience hiccups as it approaches its launch - that's what soft launches are for, after all. Employee speculation centers around GameStop's antiquated point-of-sale system, and specifically that it isn't equipped to handle the mechanics of a game rental service.
We have elected to temporarily pause the roll out of the new PowerPass subscription service, based on a few program limitations we have identified.
"For those guests who have already purchased the service, we are allowing them to bring the pass and video game they have checked out, back to receive a full refund", our GameStop spokesperson said. In addition, we are allowing them to pick out any Pre-Owned video game for free.
Technically, the PowerPass program had already kicked off by the time GameStop made the decision to temporarily shut it down. Let's hope we get some answers soon.
- Global Automotive ADAS (Auto ADAS) Market Outlook 2017 Growth, Trends, Forecasts 2022
- Jon Stewart 'angry' with Louis CK over scandal
- Mahira Khan's film in trouble over objectionable content
- HC rap leaves Thomas Chandy under mounting pressure
- Korean leader urges regional efforts to denuclearize N. Korea
- Governments in 30 countries pay 'keyboard armies' to spread propaganda, report says
- 'Stuff yourself' with Stove Top stuffing trousers this Thanksgiving
- Heartwarming photo captures Walmart cashier helping nervous man count change
- Firefox snags a new look and healthy speed boost in major update
- The GHP Investment Advisors Inc. Sells shares of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM)