The Los Angeles Dodgers are headed to Mexico next season.
Los Angeles and San Diego are scheduled to play a three-game series in Monterrey, Mexico, next spring, Major League Baseball announced Monday. "Both teams have a strong following south of the border and we anticipate a very warm and spirited reception when we visit Monterrey", said Padres first baseman Wil Myers.
The Dodgers last played internationally in 2014, when they opened the regular season in Australia, against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
The announcement is the latest in MLB's burgeoning efforts to bring big league baseball to all parts of the globe.
According to Vince Lara-Cinisomo of Baseball America, the league is hoping to create series in Asia, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom and possibly the Dominican Republic from 2018-2021.
Ghana held by Egypt to finish third in group
The "Black Stars" nearly snatched victory in the fourth and final minute of stoppage time during a goalmouth scramble. But just three minutes later Edwin Gyasi equalised for Ghana with a left-foot strike which took a slight deflection.
The Cleveland Indians and Minnesota Twins are scheduled to play in Puerto Rico in April. Cleveland and Minnesota will play a two-game series from April 17-18 at San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Philadelphia and the Mets will meet on August 19 at Williamsport, Pennsylvania, near the site of the Little League World Series. The games were originally scheduled as home games for the Padres and they will be the home team for the games at Estadio de Beisbol Monterrey.
The Padres have one player of Mexican heritage on their 40-man roster.
First baseman Adrian Gonzalez is under contract for next season, at $21.5 million.
This is the third shift in games announced for next season. "We look forward to playing in Mexico in front of some of the most passionate and knowledgeable baseball fans in the world". Verdugo, 21, made his major league debut September 1 and started four consecutive games, then did not start again. He is not expected to return by the time of the Monterrey series.
The Padres also participated in a three-game series vs. the Mets in Monterrey in 1996.
- Giants owners say McAdoo staying as coach until season's end
- A Hitman TV Series Is Currently In Development
- Donald Trump Jr. Messaged With WikiLeaks During Presidential Campaign
- ME gas prices still on the rise
- European Union says Hariri must return to Lebanon, warns against Saudi interference
- UNCW to host Presbyterian in NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament
- Google Home Speakers Now Act as Intercoms in Canada and Beyond
- Truck almost hits children getting off bus
- Were Analysts Bullish Chevron Corporation (NYSE:CVX) This Week?
- Pepsi Enters Brand Partnership With Baseball Sensation Aaron Judge