SNC is planning to deliver cargo to the ISS in 2019 and is expected to fly "at least six cargo delivery missions to and from the space station by 2024".
Dream Chaser is a derivative project from NASA's 1990s HL-20 Launch System, which in turn was inspired by the Soviet Spiral program, a series of spacecraft developed for space warfare and orbital-glide bombing since the late 1960s.
The glide flight, while a milestone in the company's commercial crew agreement, will support Sierra Nevada Corporation's efforts to develop a cargo version of the vehicle. The company expects to start cargo missions sometime in 2020. The Dream Chaser, however, which is meant to launch on top of an Atlas V rocket, glides down to Earth like a plane after reentering the atmosphere, landing horizontally on a runway. (5,500 kilograms) of cargo to the International Space Station.
Bill Gates is building a "smart city" in Arizona
Few details have been revealed about the new city, and it has not yet been announced when construction will begin. He's coming to Arizona. "Finally Arizona's getting recognized for being a place for innovation", added Schott.
Sierra Nevada Corporation's privately built Dream Chaser space plane aced a critical test Saturday (Nov. 11) during a successful free-flight over California's Mojave Desert. But in 2014, NASA didn't pick the Dream Chaser to do crewed flights to the ISS, going with SpaceX and Boeing's proposed vehicles instead. It was the second glide test for the project.
The Dream Chaser suffered a setback in 2013 when the craft's landing gear did not completely deploy during a landing test and it skidded to a stop on the runway. The company said several hours after the test that the glide flight was a success, and would release more details November 13. Sierra Nevada plans to give more details on the test during a press conference this afternoon.
- 'He had demons': Ex-wife of Texas church shooter speaks out
- Firearms amnesty launches in Milton Keynes
- Bitcoin Cash Crashes After Wild Weekend Surge
- In an Effort to Combat Dipping Ratings, ESPN Is Heading to Snapchat
- Jammu: Only 50000 per day allowed for Vaishno Devi pilgrimage
- Judges bribery case: SC reserves order
- Chairman: House won't agree to nix property tax deduction
- Christopher Plummer says Kevin Spacey situation is 'very sad'
- Major Fire accident in Annapurna Studios today; No loss of life
- PSL 3 draft ceremony kicks off with renowned Cricket stars