According to the Royal Canadian Legion, the poppy was first introduced to Canada and the Commonwealth by Lt. Col. John McCrae, a Canadian medical officer during the First World War, who penned iconic poem In Flanders Fields.
THE ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION'S 2017 poppy campaign starts tomorrow (Friday), renewing an annual event that started almost 100 years ago when a group of British ladies saw a lot of First World War veterans on the streets with no place to live. "We are really sad that there is still homeless veterans around, so we are really trying to jump in and support that cause", said Legion Zone Commander Casper Koevoets. "They are all veterans and all of them are under a great deal of stress because of the type of work they did on our behalf", said Koevoets.
The event, during which the annual poppy appeal will be launched, will take place in St Joseph's Church Hall, from 10am to noon.
The Poppy has been widely recognized as a symbol of Remembrance, since it was first adopted in 1921.
Best Buy Is Charging an Extra $100 for Full-Price iPhone X
Of course, these out-of-warranty costs assume that an iPhone owner doesn't have AppleCare+. The extended warranty costs for iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are $129 and $149 respectively.
The campaign will run until Remembrance Day (Nov. 11) and in Kelowna, organizers hope to surpass the $178,000 raised previous year.
Andy Anderson, chair of the local poppy campaign, said that the poppy trust fund supports veteran's initiatives at the Saanich Peninsula Hospital, the Veterans Memorial Lodge at Broadmead, PTSD support and more.
By wearing the poppy, people demonstrate their gratitude to those who gave their lives for the freedom we enjoy. As part of the service, veterans, Canadian Forces personnel, police officers, and cadets will march up Wellington St.to the Cenotaph.
- Almost 50 percent food allergies develop after age 17
- Witness the LA Noire 4K Ultra HD trailer in action
- White House: the women who accused Trump of sexual harassment are liars
- Nasa dismisses repeat presidential election as a farce
- Luke Bryan announces February concerts in Evansville, Louisville
- Short Term Outlook For British American Tobacco plc (NYSE:BTI)
- Taylor World title bout in doubt
- Paris Games Week: 7 NEW PS4 announcements coming from Sony on Monday
- White House mum on national monuments shrinking
- Avery Dennison Corporation (AVY) Plans Quarterly Dividend of $0.45