The 11-year old girl in Jharkhand's Simdega district apparently died due to startvation.
Santoshi Devi, the girl, died on September 28 in the district allegedly due to lack of ration as her family was refused ration under the Public Distribution System (PDS) due to non-linkage of their ration card with Aadhaar card. It was reported that the girl's family was denied ration from the PDS shop as they failed to furnish the Aadhaar number.
A local activist Taamani Sahu informed the media that the mother of the girl who allegedly starved to death had to escape from her village, Karimati in Jharkhand's Simdega district, after she was attacked. He said, Aadhaar card is not mandatory.
According to reports her family was struck off the government welfare rolls for not linking Aadhaar with ration card.
Now, the Jharkhand government has launched a toll-free number - 1800 212 55 12 - where people can leave complaints about problems in the food distribution system, apart from clarifying that the unique identity number is not needed to receive food from the government.
Elon Musk Boring company get permission to tunnel in Maryland
The tunnel would be the first part of Musk's envisioned hyperloop to transport people underground between NY and Washington, D.C. State officials say the project is funded by Musk's company and the cost to taxpayers would be zero or close to it.
"The Minister (Saryu Roy) should resign immediately and there should be a probe that in the whole country how many families are not being given food grain because their ration cards are not linked with the Aadhaar card", he said.
"I was in Ranchi when my family called me to say Koili Devi had arrived at my home after her family was attacked for defaming the village", Sahu told Hindustan Times (HT).
Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Tuesday ordered a probe into the death of Santoshi Kumari.
Reacting to the reports of threat being given to Koyli Devi, Saryu Roy said, "Action would be taken if anyone threatens Koyli Devi. They thronged outside my house and abused me and threatened me as I raised the issue", she told ANI.
- Cleveland's Jose Calderon is starting in place of Derrick Rose on Saturday
- PM Modi raised Kedarnath issue for political gains; says Congress
- Auburn uses Arkansas to get well once again
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc
- United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS) Position Trimmed by American Century Companies Inc
- Unilever PLC (NYSE:UL) Analyst Coverage
- Marc Marquez tops Australian MotoGP opening practice
- American woman suffers broken heart syndrome after dog's death
- Shawn Johnson reveals pregnancy, miscarriage in emotional video
- Vanguard Group Inc. Has $153.14 Million Stake in NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI)