After a fine hundred by Babar Azam (103, 131 balls, 5 fours) and a magnificent half-century from the veteran Shoaib Malik (81, 61 balls, 5 fours and 2 sixes) helped Pakistan post a highly competitive total of 292 for six, their fast bowlers proved Tharanga right by destroying the Lankan top-order with their white-ball mastery.
Pakistan suffered a humiliating 2-0 defeat in the Test series, which was also the first Test series loss in the Emirates for the Green-shirts.
Medium pacer Ali had two wickets off two balls as he dislodged Kusal Mendis and Milinda Siriwardana to leave Sri Lanka struggling at 67-5.
Thisara Perera (21) offered vague hope alongside Thirimanne but when Raees returned to trap the latter the game was all-but over.
Thirimanne hit three boundaries in his 74-ball stay.
Detective wrangles 9-foot anaconda with her bare hands
Make sure their cages are completely secure and if you decide you no longer want it, DO NOT release it into the wild. At least for Detective Emily Shaw of the Leon County Sheriff's Office in Tallahassee.
But without the big shots and clever running between the wickets from the 35-year-old Malik, Pakistan would not have been in a position to take their total close to the 300-mark against a disciplined Lankan bowling attack. With the first off the two sixes in the game, Malik completed 100 sixes in the ODI format.
Malik, declared man of the match, said he was happy to do the job. "Babar played well and Hafeez played a little cameo which set us well".
The nominal hosts got off to a poor start when opener Ahmed Shehzad fell for a 12-ball duck, caught off Lahiru Gamage in the fourth over of the innings.
He would add 64 with Fakhar (43) before the opener was beaten by Akila Dananjaya's googly a ball after hitting him out of the park.
Malik, who was playing in his 253rd ODI, has hit 101 sixes and 563 fours so far in the 229 innings he has batted.
The remaining matches will be held in Abu Dhabi (October 16 and 18) and in Sharjah (October 20 and 23).
- Shareholder First Financial Bank - Trust Division Increased Bristol (BMY) Holding
- Unusual Volume Spotted in China Biologic Products Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:CBPO) Stock
- Lowell High student who allegedly threatened school is arrested
- Baidu, Inc. - American Deposita (NASDAQ:BIDU) Closed Over Its 50 Day Average
- Bradford, Diggs out Sunday for Vikings
- Stock Stepping Up to a Recent High: Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT)
- Talwars couple not to be released from jail today, says Lawyer
- Q3 2017 EPS Estimates for Encana Corp (ECA) Decreased by Jefferies Group
- North Korea's top diplomat says Donald Trump lit fuse of war
- Southwest Airlines Co (LUV) to Add Hawaii Routes in 2018