Jimmie Smith was at his East Orange, New Jersey home one night watching the news on TV when he saw a report about lottery officials searching for the person who won $24 million in the NY lottery.
Jimmie Smith, 68, was prompted to check his shirt pocket in May after seeing a TV report about how time was running out for the victor to claim the lottery prize. The May 23 ticket was just two days from its expiration date.
WNBC in NY reports that a New Jersey Man checked the shirt after watching a news report and found a winning lottery ticket stuffed inside. "I really had to convince myself this was real".
Smith says he purchased the ticket from a basic need and tobacco shop in Manhattan's Tribeca neighborhood.
Watch Here: Pregnant Mindy Kaling Reveals Gender of Her Baby on 'Ellen
Besides, as personal stories go , her baby girl - who's due to arrive later this fall - already has a good one. DeGeneres closed the segment by helping Kaling fulfill one of her pregnancy cravings: Jelly donuts.
"I always told myself, 'I'll check them when I have the time, '" he said.
He got the payout more than 26 years.
The New York Lottery released his name Wednesday after a review was completed.
Asked about how he would spend the money, the retired security guard said he wanted to have a discussion with his whole family before making any decisions.
- Simple Moving Average Analysis of Oasis Petroleum Inc. (OAS)
- Andra AP fonden Acquires 11100 Shares of NextEra Energy, Inc. (NEE)
- Bayer shares gain on BASF deal, move boosts EUROSTOXX
- Shareholder First Financial Bank - Trust Division Increased Bristol (BMY) Holding
- Kansas, Mizzou in talks to play basketball exhibition for hurricane relief
- Humble Bundle has been acquired by IGN
- McCain CO, XO Relieved of Duties
- India's Nehra to retire from internationals
- India Vs Australia: 'Sorry Aussies', Guwahati Fans Apologise For Rock-Throwing Incident
- What Recent Ownership Trends Suggest About MannKind Corporation (MNKD)'s Future Performance