"The training is a regular combined one to prepare for the threat of various maritime provocations by North Korea and to strengthen interoperability between the South and the U.S.", Vice Admiral Jung Jin-sup, South Korean chief of naval operations, said in a written statement.
The South Korean and U.S. navies will kick off high-profile joint drills off the coast of the Korean peninsula next week, the allies announced on Friday.
The submarine deployment to Korea occurred around the same time the United States deployed a B-1B bomber, with two F-15K fighter jets, to the peninsula for joint drills, South Korean news service Money Today reported Wednesday.
The US sailors have engaged in various activities in South Korea, including culture experience programs, a South Korean defense source said. The US Navy said in a statement that the drill is created to promote "communications, interoperability, and partnership" between the two militaries.
The joint exercise will be conducted from next Monday to Friday in the eastern and western waters of South Korea, mobilizing the USA aircraft carrier and its accompanying battleships including destroyers and guided missile cruisers.
BMW may partner with Great Wall to expand Chinese production
A BMW executive familiar with the matter told Reuters the report was "generally true". Great Wall is one of few Chinese carmakers without an global carmaking partner.
The exercise will provide a visible and coordinated engagement for the U.S. - ROK alliance.
The Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Tucson (SSN 770) made a port call in Jinhae, also known as Chinhae, in the country's southeastern region Saturday, according to the Pacific Command.
The Navy said the Ohio-Class guided-missile submarine was making a routine visit during a regularly scheduled deployment to the region, in the second visit of its kind a year ago.
The U.S. Navy said the submarine is capable of "supporting Special Operation Forces (SOF) missions" and providing "unprecedented strike and special operation mission capabilities from a stealthy, clandestine platform".
With a length of 170.6 meters and 18,000-tonnes behind it, the vessel is the second Ohio-class nuclear-powered guided missile submarine in the US Navy.
- Trump Threatens To Revoke Broadcast Licenses Of Networks That Criticize Him
- Honor 6C Pro with 5.2 inch HD Display and 3000mAH Battery Launched
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month to be observed locally
- Roswell reboot in the works at The CW with Trump-era twist
- Turkish forces launch incursion into Syria
- After demonetisation, GST, ban on firecrackers adds to traders' woes
- Masahiro Tanaka to take mound for Yankees in ALCS opener vs. Astros
- Jane Fonda Admits She Knew About Harvey Weinstein A Year Ago
- Facebook has "an enormous responsibility" for Russian interference in USA election
- Cannot Deport Rohingya Refugees Till Next Hearing, Supreme Court Tells Government