The former Watford, Cardiff and Wigan manager will combine both jobs and take the team for the 9 November friendly against Netherlands at Pittodrie.
"When the board met earlier in the year we discussed Gordon's position after the defeats to England and Slovakia". He'd had two campaigns. "We want someone capable of getting to Euro 2020".
Former Cardiff boss Mackay was a controversial appointment as performance director in December a year ago after being the subject of an 11-month probe into a series of text messages. Regan refused to be drawn on whether Mackay would be a candidate for the permanent manager's role.
"Every director in the room had their say, we went around the table and collected those views".
If You REALLY Love Buffalo Wings, We Found Your Next Coffee Obsession
The lattes include espresso, steamed milk, a dash of sugar and buffalo sauce flavor. You'll notice it also has Buffalo seasoning atop the whipped cream.
Sam Allardyce, axed by England after just one match in charge last season, is among the favourites to succeed Strachan and Regan admitted having a Scottish coach as national team boss wasn't essential. "[The coach's] nationality is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned". "We are looking for the best person for this opportunity and we will cast the net as far and wide as we have to".
He said in August: "It's no secret that I've suffered some injuries in my career and once you get over 30 you have to protect your body more".
Alex McLeish has already thrown his hat into the ring and is fourth favourite behind Malky Mackay and Derek McInnes.
"It was a long discussion for a board agenda topic", the Scottish FA's chief executive said. "We are determined to have the right coach in place to lead Scotland to the European Championship in 2020".
- Court rules that unsent text message is man's last will and testament
- El Nino has contributed to higher Carbon Dioxide levels
- US Retail Sales Spike 1.6% In September Amid Higher Gas Prices
- Penn State preparing to keep James Franklin if other schools pursue him
- Blake Lively alleges she was harassed on set and producers didn't care
- Airbus says has not found suppliers affected by Kobe scandal
- RIL Q2 net profit up 12.5% to ₹8109 cr
- Shankar reveals first look of Amy Jackson
- After posting record profit, Samsung CEO resigns
- Trump Claims Victory in War on Christmas: 'We're Saying Merry Christmas Again'