North Carolina officials say the Pasquotank prison has been placed on lockdown.
Multiple fires set in the sewing plant of the Pasquotank Correctional Institute in North Carolina have reportedly resulted in several people injured during an attempted mass escape from the prison.
It wasn't immediately known how many employees were injured.
A spokesperson from the Sentara Albemarle Medical Center told WAVY the hospital has taken in six patients, but did not specify if they were all prison employees. Sentara asked that family of the injured avoid the campus.
After school events and athletics at Northside, ECMS and PCHS have been cancelled.
Ireland to make their Test debut against Pakistan in May next year
Ireland and Afghanistan were given test status in June when they became the 11th and 12th full members of the ICC. The exact dates and venue for the historic match have yet to be decided, but the opponents have been confirmed.
Correction Enterprises, an arm of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, operates 32 businesses across the state that employs 2,300 inmate workers, according to the group's website.
Elizabeth City fire crews and EMS have responded to the prison, along with police officers and sheriff's office depities.
Students were dismissed, but those who ride the bus were required to have a parent at home when the bus arrived.
WAVY's Joe Fisher and Matt Gregory will have updates from Elizabeth City.
- Tickets for Astros' ALCS Game 1, 2 skyrocket
- Most pro sports teams have stopped staying at Trump hotels
- RSS 'explains' why women don't attend shakhas
- Trump Nominates Kirstjen Nielsen as Homeland Security Secretary
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Shifts Plan Availability For Rockford-Area Hospitals
- Trading Statistics of United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS)
- Analyst Commentary On Apple Inc. (AAPL), Starbucks Corporation (SBUX)
- Accused teen rapist wanted to make things right by doing victim's yardwork
- Pokemon Go reportedly used for Russian meddling, too
- Loot Boxes Aren't Gambling According to ESRB