With movies based on all kinds of toys and the like - such as The LEGO Movie and The Emoji Movie - studios are looking to license films based on popular pieces of pop culture and Settlers of Catan is an unsurprising candidate.
Gail Katz, whose credits include "Pawn Sacrifice", "The Perfect Storm", and "Air Force One", will produce. Thus, Sony sees vast potential, and has hopes of constructing a possible multi film franchise from the game's world. The game revolves around players racing to settle the fictional, uncharted island of Catan, where they must barter and compete with one another for the island's various resources. It is also available to play on gaming and mobile platforms.
Right now, the big news is that The Settlers of Catan, or just Catan (it was recently rebranded) is heading to the big screen courtesy of Sony. Blaise Hemingway will write the screenplay.
N'Golo Kante and Alvaro Morata unlikely to feature against Crystal Palace
Following two brief spells in his last two jobs at Palace and Inter, Frank de Boer is now assessing his options carefully ahead of his next managerial job.
Maybe it will be like a Jumanji movie where players are sucked into the board game?
"We're excited to be working with Sony to bring the iconic world of Catan to life", said producer Gail Katz. He added that he was also a huge fan of the game and he believed on the endless opportunities that the movie will inspire its viewers, Entertainment Weekly reported. However, it's far from a plot-heavy game; aside from a vague mention that you are playing some of the first inhabitants of the island of Catan, there's no real story to speak of. "It's not every day that you have the opportunity to work in a world beloved by millions of people, and expand its story for the screen".
The Settlers of Catan was created by Klaus Teuber in 1995 and received several awards over the years, including the highly coveted Spiel des Jahres (Game of the Year) upon its release.
- #SpyTapes: SCA dismisses appeal by Zuma, NPA
- Bank of America earnings boosted by higher interest rates
- Michael Owen states his prediction for Tottenham v Bournemouth
- Turkish forces launch incursion into Syria
- Jane Fonda Admits She Knew About Harvey Weinstein A Year Ago
- Sen. Collins to announce this morning whether she will run for governor
- Just Sayin' …Why is America so in love with guns?
- Roswell reboot in the works at The CW with Trump-era twist
- Honor 6C Pro with 5.2 inch HD Display and 3000mAH Battery Launched
- (CMCSA) Shares Sold by Guardian Investment Management