A native of Jackson, Miss.
Whether or not Matthews actually follows through with his threat is still to be seen, and of course, that's assuming the National Football League passes a rule saying players must stand for the anthem, which may or may not happen.
Montana climber kills himself after girlfriend's avalanche death
Hayden's father Michael Kennedy confirmed his son's death as he wrote in his Facebook post, "He chose to end his life". The Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center said it will release more details later in the week.
This comes after NFL teams across the country began kneeling or staying in their locker rooms during the national anthem because of statements by President Donald Trump. This was the first Sunday after Trump made his comments. "The players jointly decided this was the best course of action". The memo was not announcing a policy change, it was simply Goodell's stance on the controversy: "As we said yesterday, there will be a discussion of these issues at the owners meeting next week".
Earlier this month, the Seattle Seahawks and Titans stayed off the field during the anthem. Matthews, the Titans' leading receiver, has remained in the locker room alone over the past two games while the rest of the team stood for the anthem. Should be really interesting to if he ends up following through on his threat or not. The receiver explained he didn't want his protest seen as a "publicity stunt".
Matthews, who turned 28 on Thursday, is in the second year of a three-year, $15 million contract signed in the 2016 offseason. It's your right to stand or sit down. This is the kind of thing you would expect to find in totalitarian nations, but not in a free state.
- Puerto Rico fights to recover weeks after hurricane
- Life is Strange: Before The Storm Episode Two Launch Trailer Released
- AbbVie Inc. (ABBV) Upgraded to Outperform at Cowen and Company
- Quake recorded near North Korea's nuclear test site
- Busted: Roger Goodell's wife creates fake Twitter account to defend husband
- Analysts Ratings for Pretium Resources Inc. (PVG)
- Ford Motor Company (F) Declares Quarterly Dividend of $0.15
- Amazon Studios Chief Accused of Sexually Propositioning Producer
- Woman with dementia feared taken by crocodile in Queensland
- Iran stun Germany 4-0, enter knock-out round