The Election Commission is expected to announce polls dates for the Assembly elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh. The tenure of Gujarat Assembly to end on 22nd January 2018. Earlier this week, Chief Election Commissioner AK Joti had said the Gujarat polls will, "without doubt", be held in December this year. Congress has already announced Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh as the party's chief ministerial candidate last week. It was long back announced that the elections might be held in Dec, but the specific dates were yet to be decided.
The paper slips will be counted at a single booth in each 182 constituencies to tally the number of slips and the votes cast, the CEC was quoted as saying in a PTI report. Elections in Gujarat in 2012 were held in two phases on 13 and 17 December 2012 respectively.
Although a small state, the polls in Himachal Pradesh will be watched for the emergence of the next generation of leaders in both parties that publicly say are against dynastic politics. Earlier this year, the VVPAT system was first used in Goa polls. There are around 68 seats that governed by the Congress in Himachal Pradesh. According to sources, the Gujarat polls are likely to be conducted in two phases while Himachal elections in one phase.
Jamie Carragher names Chelsea star as one of Premier League's best
Jamie Carragher has named his Premier League team of 2017, and it's hard to argue against the inclusion of any of these players. Carragher delivered his verdicts to the Daily Telegraph .
Gujarat will have 50,128 polling stations and 28,639 polling locations, Joti said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been the Chief Minister of Gujarat for three terms and its pivotal for BJP to win the assembly election to eye for the upcoming Lok Sabha election. Since 1985, the state has never re-elected an incumbent and the Congress and BJP have exchanged power.
- Intex launches X series smartphones with Aqua Lions X1+ and X1
- Nanded Municipal Corporation Election Results: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM May Lose All Seats
- Gucci goes fur-free in move praised as a game-changer
- India vs Australia: Jason Behrendorff lets his 'skill do the talking'
- Non-Bailable warrant issued against PTI chief Imran Khan
- No Colombia pact, insists Peru's Tapia
- How to watch SpaceX Falcon 9 launch
- North Korean Foreign Minister: Pyongyang at 'state of equal power with US'
- Northern Dynasty Minerals Ltd. (NAK) — Recommendation Trends
- Marinus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:MRNS), Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)