Coleman was pregnant when she was captured.
The US military has long believed that Pakistan's principal intelligence organization, the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency, has maintained links with the Taliban, particularly the Haqqani Network.
The exchange was a secret operation to bring them home after one of the longest - and strangest - American hostage ordeals in recent history, counterterrorism officials told ABC News.
Former football star George Weah became president
Former Ballon d'Or victor , George Weah has emerged as the newly elected president of Liberia to succeed Elen Johnson Sirleaf. Voters commended her leadership, but also said they are ready for change when they lined up for Tuesday's historic vote.
Coleman and her husband had been held for five years and one day, according to the US official. In December the commander of United States forces in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, said the Haqqani Network held a total of five American hostages. The hostages were recovered "through an intelligence-based operation by Pakistani troops". The group released two videos of the hostages.
Coleman, 31, and Boyle, 33, in their last video message released in December 2016, urged then-President-elect Donald Trump to negotiate with the Taliban to secure their release in return for the prisoners. It's unclear whether they knew she'd had a third. You'll probably be hearing about it over the next few days.
In that interview, Jim Coleman issued a plea to top Taliban commanders to be "kind and merciful" and let the couple go. The two were abducted five years ago while traveling in Afghanistan and have been held by the Haqqani network. USA officials call the group a terrorist organization and have targeted its leaders with drone strikes. "But that will have to change, and that will change immediately".
- Google simplifies Android video calling
- Bengals TE Tyler Eifert contemplating another back surgery, report says
- Forget a Team-Diddy Wants to Buy the NFL
- Tropical Storm Ophelia Became the Tenth Hurricane for the Season
- SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (SEAS)
- Russian Federation may demand USA to reduce diplomats to 300 or fewer
- Man City ace Aguero break silence over Amsterdam accident
- Warm with chance of scattered showers
- Germany: "No evidence" Kaspersky software used by Russians for hacks
- Callon Petroleum (NYSE:CPE) Is Now Covered By Jefferies