But in a weird twist of fate, it fell to Ospina of Colombia to land the hammer blow that would end Chile and Sanchez's hopes of appearing in next summer's competition.
Paulinho's second-half opener and a brace from Gabriel Jesus gave Brazil a 3-0 win in Sao Paulo, a result that left the two-time reigning South American champions sixth in the CONMEBOL standings - outside the four automatic spots for Russian Federation 2018 and behind Peru, who progressed to an inter-continental play-off against New Zealand.
And the French club's defender Alves is keen on him joining him in Paris as the side look to become one of the giants of European football.
And afterwards he was quizzed buy reporters about the prospect of linking up with the attacking midfielder at club level next season.
Girls in the Boy Scouts: NH reacts
Meanwhile, the Girl Scouts of America responded by issuing a statement reiterating their commitment to girls only. Morcom said the girls were really excited to have a voice, and representation, at a senior level.
However, the wealthy Parisians are now said to be once again vying with Manchester City for the signing of Arsenal's most influential player, with Le Parisien reporting last week that they will revive their pursuit next summer when Sanchez, providing he is not offloaded in January or convinced to pen fresh terms, will be available on a free transfer. I will always appreciate him and I will always wish him the best wherever he goes.' Alves joined PSG from Juventus in the summer along with compatriot Neymar and reports earlier this month claimed the Ligue 1 side were hopeful the Brazilian, both former teammates of Sanchez's, would be able to persuade him to sign.
So PSG know they face stiff competition in the battle to land the world class talent on a free transfer.
But Arsenal fans didn't quite see it that way.
- 'Lukaku is fit' - Belgium to risk Man Utd wrath following Fellaini blow
- Diamondback Energy, Inc. (FANG) Upgraded by Zacks Investment Research to Buy
- Gamco Investors INC. ET AL Invests $313000 in Twitter Inc (TWTR)
- Spain threatens to suspend Catalonia's autonomy in crisis
- US Lawmakers, European Nations Scramble to Save Iran Deal From Trump
- Japan Steel Scandal Grows as More Carmakers Hit
- Agree Realty Corporation (ADC) Receives Media Sentiment Rating of 0.11
- Capstead Mortgage Corporation (NYSE:CMO) Experiences Light Trading Volume
- AU men's assistant basketball coach appears in federal court
- EPS Forecast Revision Trends: Hess Corporation (HES)