Poonch (Jammu and Kashmir): A soldier and civilian were killed on Thursday in ceasefire violation by Pakistan in Poonch's Krishna Ghati's sector in Jammu and Kashmir. The firing was reportedly initiated by Pakistan Army around 10.35 am.
A senior police officer said Pakistani troops opened fire at forward areas in Khadi Karmara along LoC in Poonch sector this morning. Three army jawans had suffered injuries in the incident.
"One Army jawan and a civilian porter working with the Army were killed, " they said adding that the Indian troops retaliated "befittingly" to the Pakistani firing using the same calibre weapons.
Gunbattle leaves two Indian Air Force commandos dead in occupied Kashmir
The operation was going on till last reports were received, he added. "It is a big success for the security forces", Vaid said. According to initial reports, 2-3 terrorists were believed to be trapped in Bandipora's Hajin area.
"India has carried out ceasefire violations at the working boundary and LoC for 330 times between July and December past year - including 290 violations at the LoC and 40 at the working boundary", he said.
There were almost 450 ceasefire violations in 2016 in which 13 civilians and as many security personnel were killed.
- Smith on top in Malaysia
- Trump Warns Puerto Rico Weeks After Storms: Federal Help Cannot Stay 'Forever'
- GlaxoSmithKline plc (ADR) (GSK) EPS Estimated At $0.83
- The Definitive Checklist For Juniper Networks, Inc. (NYSE:JNPR)
- Glu Mobile, Inc. (GLUU) — Trending Stock Analysis
- Cryptocurrency Bitcoin rockets above $7000 to all-time high
- Earnings Approximations to Watch: Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (REGN), Abbott Laboratories (ABT)
- Boston Scientific Corp (NYSE:BSX) 2017 Q2 Sentiment
- Twitter reverses decision to block Senate candidate's campaign video
- DOJ to Mayor Kenney: Philly's 'sanctuary' policies violate federal law